Pb Exporting Word from deja Vu - EMPTY !
Thread poster: Marie 07
Marie 07
Marie 07
France
Local time: 19:30
English to French
Mar 5, 2008

Hi !

I am new with déjà vu, so please do not blame me if the answer is obvious

This is the second word file I import into Deja VU. I translated it and, unlike the first I did, when I try to export this one, the word document was empty, execpt for the title !!!

Did I forgot to do anything ?

Thank you for your help, I am in trouble here !

Marie

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Check the codes Mar 5, 2008

Hi Marie,

I suggest going through the document in Déjà Vu and looking to see if any of the codes are in the wrong order in your target text compared to the source text.

If that doesn't work, send the whole projet to a new translation memory, re-import the document under a new name and pretranslate using your new translation memory selecting "only exact matches" (which should get everything or nearly everything you had the first time round) and try exporting that one.
... See more
Hi Marie,

I suggest going through the document in Déjà Vu and looking to see if any of the codes are in the wrong order in your target text compared to the source text.

If that doesn't work, send the whole projet to a new translation memory, re-import the document under a new name and pretranslate using your new translation memory selecting "only exact matches" (which should get everything or nearly everything you had the first time round) and try exporting that one.

Hope one of these helps.
Collapse

Judy Schoen
Judy Schoen  Identity Verified
English to German
check the codes Mar 5, 2008

set the cursor in the first segment.

press CTRL+Shift+F8

the cursor will go to the first segment with a code problem. look at the status line at the botton, to the left of DVX, there you will find info about the possible problem.

Once you corrected all codes the file should normally export

kind regards
Judy Ann

Marie 07
Marie 07
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
new project memory ? Mar 5, 2008

Hi !

Thanks for you help.
Judy : I checked the codes and eveything os ok.

EUtychus : I am ashamed to ask , but how do I export to a new translation memory ? I guess If I manage to do what you advise me to, it will be ok
Bonjour, je suis désolée, je pense effectivement que mon erreur vient de quand j'ai créé le nouveau projet, je crois que j'ai sélectionné le doc précédent comme mémoire de traduction.
Comment dois-je enregistrer une nouvelle m
... See more
Hi !

Thanks for you help.
Judy : I checked the codes and eveything os ok.

EUtychus : I am ashamed to ask , but how do I export to a new translation memory ? I guess If I manage to do what you advise me to, it will be ok
Bonjour, je suis désolée, je pense effectivement que mon erreur vient de quand j'ai créé le nouveau projet, je crois que j'ai sélectionné le doc précédent comme mémoire de traduction.
Comment dois-je enregistrer une nouvelle mémoire à partir de ma traduction en cours?
Merci d'avance et désolée encore !
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Workaround: Save Word doc as rtf Mar 5, 2008

Hi Marie,

You might as well consider saving the Word doc as rtf, reimport it into the project and pretranslate it (assuming that all you have translated so far has been sent to the TM, if not, choose Project - Send Project to Translation Memory.

What Eutychus means:
Define a new translation memory in the project settings (choose Project - Properties - Databases, then click "Add" in the upper section and just type a name. The new memory will then be created automat
... See more
Hi Marie,

You might as well consider saving the Word doc as rtf, reimport it into the project and pretranslate it (assuming that all you have translated so far has been sent to the TM, if not, choose Project - Send Project to Translation Memory.

What Eutychus means:
Define a new translation memory in the project settings (choose Project - Properties - Databases, then click "Add" in the upper section and just type a name. The new memory will then be created automatically). Then just do what I described above (send project).

Still trouble? Let us know!

Best,
Wolfgang
Collapse

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
More details Mar 5, 2008

Marie:

more or less what Wolfgang said.

Project -> Properties -> Databases.

Remove any translation memory which is there.

New -> Translation Memory -> create a translation memory and put it somewhere you can remember

Back to Project -> Properties -> Databases -> Add

Add your new (empty) translation memory.

Send your whole project to the new translation memory.

Then reimport your source docum
... See more
Marie:

more or less what Wolfgang said.

Project -> Properties -> Databases.

Remove any translation memory which is there.

New -> Translation Memory -> create a translation memory and put it somewhere you can remember

Back to Project -> Properties -> Databases -> Add

Add your new (empty) translation memory.

Send your whole project to the new translation memory.

Then reimport your source document under a new name, pretranslate from the new TM and try exporting again.

If you would like some help in French, feel free to call me (follow links to my website in my profile). I'll be here until 5pm French time or a little later on.
Collapse

Marie 07
Marie 07
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
it worked Mar 5, 2008

Thank you very much, it worked !

[Modifié le 2008-03-05 15:31]

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
and something else to add Mar 5, 2008

DejaVu users also have other types of problems. One very frequently discussed is the inability to export the target file. Usually fixing the embedded codes can help, but it is not always the case. Just yesterday DVX did not want to export the file, controlling the embedded codes did not help. And I came across a situation where there was a character { just next to the embedded code. So everything looked like {{173}. It was just a mistake in erasing the former embedded code, with the character { ... See more
DejaVu users also have other types of problems. One very frequently discussed is the inability to export the target file. Usually fixing the embedded codes can help, but it is not always the case. Just yesterday DVX did not want to export the file, controlling the embedded codes did not help. And I came across a situation where there was a character { just next to the embedded code. So everything looked like {{173}. It was just a mistake in erasing the former embedded code, with the character { remaining. When I corrected it everything worked fine. So next time, as one of possible clues, try to find a similar setting of characters. What I also noticed that when by mistake you modify the source file, there may be problems with exporting the target file.
I'm glad that the above suggestions helped you.

Best regards

Piotr
Collapse

Marie 07
Marie 07
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
switch from Deja Vu to another ? Mar 6, 2008

I've only got the evalutation version of Dejà Vu... Do we encounter the same time of codes problems with other CAT tools ?

I found this : http://www.geocities.com/fmourisso/CAT.htm
which makes me want to buy CYPRESOFT TRANS Suite 2000
rather than everything else.

Do you think this comparative if reliable ?

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
outdated opinion? Mar 6, 2008

according to opinion presented in this evaluation, DV does not possess many functions. I guess that the latest version of DVX has many of these features, such as autosearch. What DVX has an others have not is the assemble function. Whenever you have short segments, the software is able to combine them into a longer sentence. I also don't know whether other CAT tools can substitute short segments or words in the original sentences. DVX seems a completely different product then the former versio... See more
according to opinion presented in this evaluation, DV does not possess many functions. I guess that the latest version of DVX has many of these features, such as autosearch. What DVX has an others have not is the assemble function. Whenever you have short segments, the software is able to combine them into a longer sentence. I also don't know whether other CAT tools can substitute short segments or words in the original sentences. DVX seems a completely different product then the former version. Anyway, I don't think I will ever use another software, but this opinion is probably true for all other users or their programmes.

Piotr
Collapse

Judy Schoen
Judy Schoen  Identity Verified
English to German
this test is rubbish Mar 6, 2008

I just had a short look, the person writing this had no idea at all about DVX and its functions .
Therefore, this test is rubbish.

I have Trados, Across, MemoQ, SDLX, Wordfast and DVX.
I do all my work in DVx because it is the only product working on a subsentence level and the only one with many integrated QA functions.

As for code problems.

I have been working with dv/DVX for 12 years now, I cannot even remember when I had export problems in a
... See more
I just had a short look, the person writing this had no idea at all about DVX and its functions .
Therefore, this test is rubbish.

I have Trados, Across, MemoQ, SDLX, Wordfast and DVX.
I do all my work in DVx because it is the only product working on a subsentence level and the only one with many integrated QA functions.

As for code problems.

I have been working with dv/DVX for 12 years now, I cannot even remember when I had export problems in any of MY projects.

I see a lot of problems in projects of other people as I do a lot of support. In 99 % hat translator is the culprit by working sloppily.

kind regards
Judy Ann

[Bearbeitet am 2008-03-06 19:13]
Collapse

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Not all problems are the fault of the translators!! Mar 6, 2008

Problems are not always the fault of translators!! There can be a code problem in the original document that is invisible and nothing to do with the translator. The main question is whether a workaround can be found - as has been found here.

I find the single most compelling reason for using DVX is that it puts the target and source side by side instead of one on top of the other.

[Edited at 2008-03-06 21:20]

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Cypresoft is no more Mar 9, 2008

I found this : http://www.geocities.com/fmourisso/CAT.htm
which makes me want to buy CYPRESOFT TRANS Suite 2000
rather than everything else.

As far as I know, Cypresoft went out of business some time ago (2006?).

Do you think this comparative if reliable ?

No. It's a very old survey and it looks like the author tried DV for about ten minutes and didn't bother to understand much.

Best regards,
Dave

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pb Exporting Word from deja Vu - EMPTY !

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »