Thread poster: Marti Adler
Marti Adler
Marti Adler  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:32
English
Sep 8, 2009

Hallo,
I'm Using FrameMaker 8 to localize a text into Chinese. After translating a mif file in DejaVu (correct chinese display) I open the mif file in FrameMaker to see that all chinese became question marks. I used both export encoding in Dejavu - Unicode and Chinese PRC, but bot are unreadable.
My OC is Windows XP with Chinese in the Language settings.
I appreciate any help
Thanks
Marti

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Any error messages? Sep 8, 2009

Did you receive any error messages when opening the file with FrameMaker, e.g. *** font is not available.

Marti Adler
Marti Adler  Identity Verified
Israel
English
TOPIC STARTER
No error messages at all Sep 8, 2009

I just open the file the many empty spaces or question marks (depends on the encoding)

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:32
English to Japanese
+ ...
Font mapping Sep 8, 2009

Hi

There are various ways to fix it, and the easiest one is MIF font mapping.

Withiin DejaVu, Go to Project > Properties and click the MIF Font Mapping tab (rightmost). You will see a list of fonts used in the current project (mif files). You can go one by one and map to a chinese font, or click "Global replacement" under the list for simpler management.

HTH

Rie

CTCTranslate
CTCTranslate  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:32
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
FrameMaker 8 Sep 9, 2009

I has expienced this kind of problems too. My solutions:

1. Save FrameMaker 8 file to FrameMaker 7.0 mif, after translation and use FrameMaker 7.0 to change all fonts to Chinese fonts, thus, then use FrameMaker 8 to perform DTP work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FrameMaker Chinese display problems

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »