Thread poster: Pieter_H
Pieter_H
Pieter_H  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 18:21
Norwegian to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 22, 2007

Ik heb onderstaande ook gemeld op "Money matters" en gemeld bij de staff van Proz.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from an organization posing to be PayPal asking me to confirm my account by connecting to a link which was mentioned in the e-mail.

The reason for this confirmation was said to be repeated unsuccessful attempts to enter my account.

The e-mail was addressed to an e-mail account which I usually do not use, and not in connection with PayPal, anywa
... See more
Ik heb onderstaande ook gemeld op "Money matters" en gemeld bij de staff van Proz.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from an organization posing to be PayPal asking me to confirm my account by connecting to a link which was mentioned in the e-mail.

The reason for this confirmation was said to be repeated unsuccessful attempts to enter my account.

The e-mail was addressed to an e-mail account which I usually do not use, and not in connection with PayPal, anyway.
This I found suspicious and checked with the real PayPal-organization by logging on to my account . They confirmed that no such message was sent.

It therefore seems obvious that this is an attempt to crack PayPal-accounts. The only place where this particular e-mail address of mine and my PayPal account can be connected to each other is on Proz.com.

I will therefore warn everybody to be careful when they receive such an e-mail. It looked rather trustworthy, cause the PayPal-logo was used and addressed to " Dear valued customer".
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, never click on the link they provide Feb 22, 2007

I also received this mail a few times in the recent past and informed PayPal about it.

Phishing mails, indeed.

By the way, I received several such (fraudulous) mails related to my Moneybookers account as well.

So watch those mails closely.

[Edited at 2007-02-22 11:14]

Laurens Landkroon
Laurens Landkroon  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
simple solution............ Feb 22, 2007

Thanks Pieter.

Many, many people seem to receive these emails (I get at least a couple of these messages a month, and contacted PayPal but received a vague answer about it).

My suggestion(and according to a lot of people): stop using Paypal and either switch to Moneybookers or offer a different method of payment.

problem solved...................

Laurens.

(And referring to a colleague of mine: PayPal? Not my pal !!

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Moneybookers & phishing Feb 22, 2007

Laurens Landkroon wrote:

Thanks Pieter.

Many, many people seem to receive these emails (I get at least a couple of these messages a month, and contacted PayPal but received a vague answer about it).

My suggestion(and according to a lot of people): stop using Paypal and either switch to Moneybookers or offer a different method of payment.

problem solved...................

Laurens.

(And referring to a colleague of mine: PayPal? Not my pal !!

What about Moneybookers then? I also received pretty conning mails related to my account with them, stating that someone sent me xx amount of money as settlement of an invoice.

Els Thant, M.A., B.Tr. (X)
Els Thant, M.A., B.Tr. (X)
Ecuador
Local time: 11:21
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Moneybookers... Feb 26, 2007

[[/quote]

What about Moneybookers then? I also received pretty conning mails related to my account with them, stating that someone sent me xx amount of money as settlement of an invoice. [/quote]

En vandaag kreeg ik deze mail van Moneybookers:
--------------------------------------------
Dear Sir/Madam,
We are writing you this email in regards to your account with
moneybookers.
In accordance with our terms and conditions, article 3.2., we
... See more
[[/quote]

What about Moneybookers then? I also received pretty conning mails related to my account with them, stating that someone sent me xx amount of money as settlement of an invoice. [/quote]

En vandaag kreeg ik deze mail van Moneybookers:
--------------------------------------------
Dear Sir/Madam,
We are writing you this email in regards to your account with
moneybookers.
In accordance with our terms and conditions, article 3.2., we would like to kindly ask you to confirm your identity by doing the following:

1. Click the link below and update your account informations by filling the forms.
https://www.moneybookers.com/app/identify.pl
2. Send us copies of following documents:
- personal identification document (identity card or driving license or international passport)
- a proof of the address submitted with our system (bank account statement or utility bill)
You can send those scanned to our email address
[email protected] or faxed to +44 709 204 2001.
With best regards,
your moneybookers team
---------------------------------------------
Dit werd naar mijn correcte e-mailadres gestuurd... Ik heb mijn gegevens gecheckt, maar denk er (voorlopig) niet aan om een kopie van mijn paspoort te sturen.

Heeft iemand al eens een gelijkaardige mail gekregen?

Veel dank op voorhand voor jullie reacties!

Els
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

PayPal - fraude attempt?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »