Thread poster: Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:41
German to English
+ ...
Dec 15, 2002

I regularly receive cheques from an agency in the US. Normally I just deposit them with the Postbank (costs €10, but the agency goes halves on the charge).

As I\'ll be in the US over the Christmas period, I thought I\'d just take the latest cheque with me to cash at a bank counter while I\'m there. However, I have no idea whether this is possible. Do US banks cash cheques presented in person? Will any bank do it? Or do I need to take it to the bank on which it\'s drawn?... See more
I regularly receive cheques from an agency in the US. Normally I just deposit them with the Postbank (costs €10, but the agency goes halves on the charge).

As I\'ll be in the US over the Christmas period, I thought I\'d just take the latest cheque with me to cash at a bank counter while I\'m there. However, I have no idea whether this is possible. Do US banks cash cheques presented in person? Will any bank do it? Or do I need to take it to the bank on which it\'s drawn?

Any advice appreciated.
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
check cashing centers Dec 15, 2002

There are tons of them around, Chris. They\'re not banks but cash offices where you can get an advance on your salary (if you show them regular pay slips from your company), transfer money abroad instantaneously through Western Union (if you want to send money to a village in Ghana, they\'re the people to use!), pay your bills, buy money orders, etc. Just take the yellow pages (of any city you\'re in) and look under \'cash services\', \'cash checks\', etc. Try searching for \'Western Union\' as ... See more
There are tons of them around, Chris. They\'re not banks but cash offices where you can get an advance on your salary (if you show them regular pay slips from your company), transfer money abroad instantaneously through Western Union (if you want to send money to a village in Ghana, they\'re the people to use!), pay your bills, buy money orders, etc. Just take the yellow pages (of any city you\'re in) and look under \'cash services\', \'cash checks\', etc. Try searching for \'Western Union\' as well since Western Union services are usually incorporated into this business. Bring your passport with you as ID!Collapse

Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:41
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 15, 2002

Cheers Marcus! That\'s what I needed to know. I just checked on Western Union\'s website and it turns out there\'s an agent right at the end of the road where I\'ll be staying!

Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
Cash a check without paying a fee Dec 17, 2002

Check Cashing places will generally charge you a hefty sum to cash a check. If the bank is a national one, you could just show up at a branch office and present ID and have the check cashed for free. Another option, if you have a freind who trusts you enough and the agency would never give you a bad check, is to just sign the check over to a friend and have them cash it for you. Many banks will want to be sure that the person cashing the check has at least the amount of the check in their accoun... See more
Check Cashing places will generally charge you a hefty sum to cash a check. If the bank is a national one, you could just show up at a branch office and present ID and have the check cashed for free. Another option, if you have a freind who trusts you enough and the agency would never give you a bad check, is to just sign the check over to a friend and have them cash it for you. Many banks will want to be sure that the person cashing the check has at least the amount of the check in their account.Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

cashing US cheques

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »