Barbara L Pavlik
Barbara L Pavlik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:49
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 1, 2012

Have any of you Fluency users out there had any success saving to Word 2010 after doing a translation in Fluency? I started with an old version (1997) of Word, and always got a message that Fluency was having problems saving to Word, and I should save to a rich text format instead. When I contacted Western Standard, they said that 2002 was the earliest version of Word that the program would work with. So I downloaded the trial version of Word 2010 and still had problems. Contacted Western St... See more
Have any of you Fluency users out there had any success saving to Word 2010 after doing a translation in Fluency? I started with an old version (1997) of Word, and always got a message that Fluency was having problems saving to Word, and I should save to a rich text format instead. When I contacted Western Standard, they said that 2002 was the earliest version of Word that the program would work with. So I downloaded the trial version of Word 2010 and still had problems. Contacted Western Standard, and they told me that Fluency doesn't work with the trial version, but would work once I activated the program. Before purchasing, I double checked with them that it would work with the version I was going to buy (Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student). Tried to save a document to Word 2010 after activating the program.. fully licensed version, and I still can't save to Word! I'm beginning to think that Fluency is a completely useless program. Has anyone had a more promising experience? Thanks in advance for your feedback.Collapse

Richard Tregaskis
Richard Tregaskis
United States
Local time: 09:49
Korean to English
+ ...
Saving to .doc in Fluency Apr 2, 2012

Dear Barbara, I can assure that Fluency does work with MS Word, as long as MS Word is not experiencing any problems or restrictions.

The MS Word .doc and .docx formats are fairly complicated, and in order to get the best results, Fluency asks MS Word to do the actual saving of the file. When MS Word doesn’t respond, then you see the problems that you have seen.

Fluency has the ability to talk to MS Word (2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, and 2010) as long as they are not Trial
... See more
Dear Barbara, I can assure that Fluency does work with MS Word, as long as MS Word is not experiencing any problems or restrictions.

The MS Word .doc and .docx formats are fairly complicated, and in order to get the best results, Fluency asks MS Word to do the actual saving of the file. When MS Word doesn’t respond, then you see the problems that you have seen.

Fluency has the ability to talk to MS Word (2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, and 2010) as long as they are not Trial or Starter versions, in which case Microsoft has intentionally designed them not to respond to any other program requests.

If you are seeing problems with a valid version of MS Word not responding, then it is because the installation of MS Word was not 100% successful in telling Windows that it is now longer the trial version. There are a couple of options that may help in this case:
1. Reinstall MS Word
2. Download and install (reinstall) the Microsoft Primary Interops from our website: http://www.westernstandard.com/fluency-downloads.html
3. Do Start > Run (in the search box of Vista and Windows 7) > winword –a

If you would like one of our support staff to do a Goto meeting live support session for this issue with us, please let us know.
Collapse

Barbara L Pavlik
Barbara L Pavlik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:49
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Two Versions Apr 3, 2012

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your response. I had an answer from Carl in your support team, and it turns out that the problem was probably because I still have the old version of Word on my computer, and Fluency won't work if more than one version are installed. Unfortunately, I can't seem to uninstall the old version without the installation disk, which I no longer have, but my new computer should be arriving soon, and I will have only 2010 installed on it, so hopefully, the problem wi
... See more
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your response. I had an answer from Carl in your support team, and it turns out that the problem was probably because I still have the old version of Word on my computer, and Fluency won't work if more than one version are installed. Unfortunately, I can't seem to uninstall the old version without the installation disk, which I no longer have, but my new computer should be arriving soon, and I will have only 2010 installed on it, so hopefully, the problem will resolve itself. Sorry for the negative tone of my post. I just get so frustrated with software problems, and I hadn't been able to resolve this one for many months (I haven't worked on it consistently). But one thing I'll say for the Fluency team is that you guys are certainly responsive. I always have a response within 24 hours, even on weekends (and much, much faster on workdays). I'm still holding onto the faith I had when I purchased this product, because compared to everything else I've seen out there, it is, by far, the most user friendly CAT tool out there... I've had no problems saving to .rtf, by the way.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Saving to Word 2010 in Fluency

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »