Comment je réagis, moi.....Faire entendre son opinion
Thread poster: Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Aug 13, 2003

Go to
www.aadake.com/V originals.zip to view the file.
The documents will be proofread by our client and they regard accuracy of the document as very important. Please submit your best price ASAP that needs to be equal to or better than US 3 cents per word to secure the job.
DEADLINE for completion: 19. August 2003
5.00pm Sydney, Australia time.
Please provide your resume with your
... See more
Go to
The documents will be proofread by our client and they regard accuracy of the document as very important. Please submit your best price ASAP that needs to be equal to or better than US 3 cents per word to secure the job.
Please provide your resume with your offer.
Document length approximately 75000 words

Volume and Pricing:

Volume: 75,000 words !!!!!

Price per unit: 0.03 USD per word

TOTAL: 2250.00 USD

Ma réponse:
Jessica,

I am sorry but if you client is so anxious about quality and native speaker ability, he or she will surely understand that the price level is unacceptable to senior translation professionals residing in Europe, the US or even Latin America. I can tell you that there are ONLY handful of people in the US and Europe who can do these kind of translations to the satisfaction of target language requirements such that they read like originals. I would really appreciate your showing this email to your client. If you want a Mercedes Benz, you have to pay for it.

PS
Je viens de rendre visite à ce site, et il me semble opportun que le plus grand nombre possible leur écrive pour protester....zero de conduite pour cette boîte....

[Edited at 2003-08-13 15:01]
Collapse

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
Local time: 09:52
French to English
+ ...
good on you! Aug 13, 2003

Not sure which language to use but... OUI, YES, JA, SI, SI, da, etc. I entirely agree with you. I am totally shocked at how little people want to pay for so much. I think such clients should be boycotted but have no illusions because someone desperate for work or just beginning will always, in my experience, step in and fill the breach.
Well, if they want to pay peanuts, I hope they get monkeys. It's not just a Merc that they want, it's a wretched Rolls Royce !
Doubtless we'll see hu
... See more
Not sure which language to use but... OUI, YES, JA, SI, SI, da, etc. I entirely agree with you. I am totally shocked at how little people want to pay for so much. I think such clients should be boycotted but have no illusions because someone desperate for work or just beginning will always, in my experience, step in and fill the breach.
Well, if they want to pay peanuts, I hope they get monkeys. It's not just a Merc that they want, it's a wretched Rolls Royce !
Doubtless we'll see hundreds of KudosZ questions on the site as the person who bit off more than he/she can chew comes begging for help.
PS Is there any way in which people can know who gets the jobs posted? Sometimes I think cleints run tests and never contract out the actual job: if you get 20 bidders and give each a different test page.....
Or am I just "parano"?
Chris
Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re parano Aug 13, 2003

Maybe for this many pages. But people do do that,Chris.

J'exhorte les collègues à inonder cette personne avec la réponse NON...

Il faut se faire entendre...:)

Just do it...for me...please and then post your messages. Cela me donne un plaisir fou de voir que les gens disent non ou merde...mais gentillement bien sure. uff

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
encore! Aug 13, 2003

Je viens de recevoir um "courriel" où l'on me propose .05 cents le mot pour 12,000 pour vendredi!!!

C'était un courriel spontané....Mais comment....ayant lu mon CV les personnes me proposent de prix tels?

Ufa

René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
- Aug 13, 2003

[Edited at 2003-08-22 15:27]

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
Local time: 08:52
German to English
+ ...
SMIC Aug 13, 2003

I've done a bit of math on this job. USD 0.03 per word converts into sterling (sorry to post in English, but this particular horror hasn't come up on any of the other sites) at £18 per thousand words. Assuming an output of 2,000 words a day (generous for a complex financial/legal text, in PDF format, referring back to other source text which are not made available) and an 8-hour working day we end up with an hourly rate of £4.50. I think you could do better flipping burgers. Sad thing is that ... See more
I've done a bit of math on this job. USD 0.03 per word converts into sterling (sorry to post in English, but this particular horror hasn't come up on any of the other sites) at £18 per thousand words. Assuming an output of 2,000 words a day (generous for a complex financial/legal text, in PDF format, referring back to other source text which are not made available) and an 8-hour working day we end up with an hourly rate of £4.50. I think you could do better flipping burgers. Sad thing is that eight Proz members have seen fit to submit a bid. Of course, at 2,000 words a day they would not be able to meet the deadline. Où va-t-on?Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:52
English to German
+ ...
Boycotter est inapproprié Aug 13, 2003

CMJ_Trans said:
.. I think such clients should be boycotted ..
Boycotter aurait l'air comme si on pouvait prendre les échelles de ces gens au sérieux.

Ils sont cependant comme des enfants auxquels il faut expliquer patiemment ce qui est raisonnable.

Pat Jenner said:
..Sad thing is that eight ProZ.com members have seen fit to submit a bid..
J'en suis sûr que ceux, qui ont soumit des offres, ou bien ont faits ainsi, ou bien ont offert des traductions de machine, ou bien vont mourir de faim bientôt.

[Edited at 2003-08-13 23:15]

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:22
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
The same job posted in another portal Aug 14, 2003

Sorry for posting in English. I am reproducing the posting for the same job in
GoTranslators.com ([email protected]):

Translation job offer

--- Do not reply to this mail! ---
Click on >>> Job_Offer_471gtae70e696x.htm

[Number of colleagues who meet these criteria: 520 ]

Source language: French
Target language: English
General subject area:
Number of words: 75000

Due date: 2003-08-20
... See more
Sorry for posting in English. I am reproducing the posting for the same job in
GoTranslators.com ([email protected]):

Translation job offer

[Number of colleagues who meet these criteria: 520 ]

Source language: French
Target language: English
General subject area:
Number of words: 75000

Due date: 2003-08-20
Format: file.pdf
Comments [Customer language]:
Go to
The documents will be proofread by our client and they regard accuracy of the document as very important. Please submit your best price ASAP to secure the job.
Please provide your resume with your offer.
Document length approximately 75000 words

It is interesting to note that the insulting rate of 3 cents is not mentioned here. Is it possible that the poster is taking proz.com and its members for granted?
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:52
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
C'est intéressant, en effet Aug 14, 2003

It is interesting to note that the insulting rate of 3 cents is not mentioned here. Is it possible that the poster is taking proz.com and its members for granted?

Il serait intéressant de connaître l'heure à laquelle ces offres ont été postées. Peut-être qu'entre les deux il avait déjà reçu la réponse de Jane et qu'il s'est dit qu'il valait mieux ne pas s'y frotter ?

thierry albert
thierry albert  Identity Verified
Chinese to French
+ ...
Mais Aug 14, 2003

"We are always looking for the best staff and translators." (...)" Only the best applicants are chosen."

On peut aussi faire des dons :
"an official patron for the CANCER RESEARCH FOUNDATION & the GUIDE DOG ASSOCIATION. "

Ne vous affolez pas, vous savez maintenant où va la part qui ne passe pas dans votre poche.

" Donations may be made at one of our offices. "

J'irai aussi de mon napoléon.

Allons, ce sont de bonnes âmes!

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
eux ils semblent les prendre au sérieux alors... Aug 14, 2003

(quote Harry) Boycotter aurait l'air comme si on pouvait prendre les échelles de ces gens au sérieux.

Expliquer d'accord mais il y en a qui ne veulent pas entendre. Ils trouvent toujours un "pigeon" qui préfère 15 sous à rien. En si, en plus, ils ne paient même pas à entendre les dires des autres participants à ce forum, alors il faut croire que l'on a affaire à des durs qui savent parfaitement ce qu'ils font....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comment je réagis, moi.....Faire entendre son opinion

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »