100 words in French = X lines in Flemish?
Thread poster: Philippe Carino

Philippe Carino  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
Member (2006)
Spanish to French
+ ...
May 9, 2009

Hi there,

I would like to know how many lines (in Word) do we get translating 100 words from French into Flemish?

In other words, if I have to translate a French text of 100 words, how many lines will I get in Flemish?

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Kind regards,

Philippe
ps. for those who do not speak English : Combien de lignes (sous Word) en flamand pour 100 mots en français? Merci!


 

xxxNMR
France
Local time: 16:40
French to Dutch
+ ...
Même longueur May 9, 2009

En nombre de mots il n'y a pas beaucoup de différence. Je ne sais pas combien de lignes cela faiticon_smile.gif

N'hésitez pas à poser la question dans le forum néerlandais, que nous partageons avec nos confrères flamands.


 

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Hope this helps May 9, 2009

http://www.amtrad.it/feewizardol.php

 

Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:40
Dutch to English
+ ...
it depends May 9, 2009

It depends really how many times there is a gerund in those 100 words. Because gerunds, which the French like terribly much, become very annoying in Flemish/Dutch and you have to paraphrase them. And then the text becomes really long. Otherwise, the amount should be about the same...

 

Philippe Carino  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
Member (2006)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Christel! May 9, 2009

Thanks Christel for your kind help. I have seen the tool but am not sure to use it the right way:)... Indeed, aparently we are expected to enter a price... Could you please give me a hand? Thanks in advance for your kind help Christel. Kind regards, Philippe

 

Philippe Carino  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
Member (2006)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci de votre aide! May 9, 2009

NMR wrote:

En nombre de mots il n'y a pas beaucoup de différence. Je ne sais pas combien de lignes cela faiticon_smile.gif

N'hésitez pas à poser la question dans le forum néerlandais, que nous partageons avec nos confrères flamands.
Merci de votre aide. Néanmoins, je crois qu'il s'agit d'un forum sur lequel on ne peut écrire qu'en néerlandais et je ne le parle pas:)... Qu'en pensez-vous? Merci à vous. Philippe


 

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Enter any price you want May 9, 2009

Philippe Carino wrote:

Thanks Christel for your kind help. I have seen the tool but am not sure to use it the right way:)... Indeed, aparently we are expected to enter a price... Could you please give me a hand? Thanks in advance for your kind help Christel. Kind regards, Philippe


I know it looks a bit complicated, but it is not.

Enter for example 10 (= cents)/word for the source text (FR) which simplifies the whole thing, just to explain how it works. Then for the target line (which would be NL in your case), you enter the number of characters. I entered 55. So I got 84 cents as a result. That means that a target line with 55 characters contains on average 8,4 Dutch words, and if you charge 10 cents/word for the source text, this corresponds to 84 cents for a line in the target text.

Kind regards, hope you like it as I do.


 

docnroll  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:40
Member (2006)
My result is different:)... May 9, 2009

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Philippe Carino wrote:

Thanks Christel for your kind help. I have seen the tool but am not sure to use it the right way:)... Indeed, aparently we are expected to enter a price... Could you please give me a hand? Thanks in advance for your kind help Christel. Kind regards, Philippe


I know it looks a bit complicated, but it is not.

Enter for example 10 (= cents)/word for the source text (FR) which simplifies the whole thing, just to explain how it works. Then for the target line (which would be NL in your case), you enter the number of characters. I entered 55. So I got 84 cents as a result. That means that a target line with 55 characters contains on average 8,4 Dutch words, and if you charge 10 cents/word for the source text, this corresponds to 84 cents for a line in the target text.

Kind regards, hope you like it as I do.
Hi again Christel. I have tried to enter the same data as yours but apparently my result is different from yours:)... I kindly attach the result hereafter so that you can see it:
For FR > NL translations
a price of 0.1 (your currency) / 1 source word(s)
roughly correspond to
5.8406 (your currency) / 55 target word(s)
As you can see the result is 5,8406...

What do you think Christel?

Thanks again for your kind help.

Kind regards,
Philippe


 

Philippe Carino  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
Member (2006)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My result is different:)... May 9, 2009

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Philippe Carino wrote:

Thanks Christel for your kind help. I have seen the tool but am not sure to use it the right way:)... Indeed, aparently we are expected to enter a price... Could you please give me a hand? Thanks in advance for your kind help Christel. Kind regards, Philippe


I know it looks a bit complicated, but it is not.

Enter for example 10 (= cents)/word for the source text (FR) which simplifies the whole thing, just to explain how it works. Then for the target line (which would be NL in your case), you enter the number of characters. I entered 55. So I got 84 cents as a result. That means that a target line with 55 characters contains on average 8,4 Dutch words, and if you charge 10 cents/word for the source text, this corresponds to 84 cents for a line in the target text.

Kind regards, hope you like it as I do.
Thanks Christel for your kind help. I have seen the tool
but am not sure to use it the right way:)... Indeed,
aparently we are expected to enter a price... Could you
please give me a hand? Thanks in advance for your kind help
Christel. Kind regards, Philippe [/quote]

I know it looks a bit complicated, but it is not.
Enter for example 10 (= cents)/word for the source text
(FR) which simplifies the whole thing, just to explain how
it works. Then for the target line (which would be NL in
your case), you enter the number of characters. I entered
55. So I got 84 cents as a result. That means that a target
line with 55 characters contains on average 8,4 Dutch words,
and if you charge 10 cents/word for the source text, this
corresponds to 84 cents for a line in the target text.
Kind regards, hope you like it as I do. [/quote]Hi again
Christel. I have tried to enter the same data as yours but
apparently my result is different from yours:)... I kindly
attach the result hereafter so that you can see it:
For FR > NL translations
a price of 0.1 (your currency) / 1 source word(s)
roughly correspond to
5.8406 (your currency) / 55 target word(s)
As you can see the result is 5,8406...

What do you think Christel?

Thanks again for your kind help.

Kind regards,
Philippe


 

Philippe Carino  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
Member (2006)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci beaucoup Kirsten! May 10, 2009

Kirsten Bodart wrote:

It depends really how many times there is a gerund in those 100 words. Because gerunds, which the French like terribly much, become very annoying in Flemish/Dutch and you have to paraphrase them. And then the text becomes really long. Otherwise, the amount should be about the same...
Merci pour votre temps Kirsten! Bonne journée Kirsten! Philippe


 

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
Member (2003)
German to French
Confusion May 10, 2009

Bonjour Philippe,

Je suis un peu décontenancé à la lecture de vos divers messages, postés plusieurs fois dans des langues différentes et qui plus est sous différents comptes d'utilisateur.

Il serait peut-être plus judicieux de poster une seule fois sur un même sujet, écrit dans une seule langue dans le forum approprié et de n'utiliser qu'un seul compte d'utilisateur.

Un peu d'attention et de cohérence ne seraient pas de trop.

Bon dimanche,
Sylvain


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

100 words in French = X lines in Flemish?

Advanced search






SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search