How do you sort out the absence of accents from qwerty keyboards (when writing on the net)?
Thread poster: alx
alx
alx  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:52
English to French
+ ...
Jul 17, 2002

Maybe it\'s a stupid question but I can\'t find my way round this. I know how to swap languages and use the alt+ctrl+codes for accents on Word but can\'t I do the same when on the net?

For intance, all my French mails lack accents so I have to write them in Word, then copy and paste the text and send this as unicode!

Any suggestions welcome.

Alexandra Harmer
Alexandra Harmer  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:52
English to French
+ ...
Buy an azerty Jul 17, 2002

Hi Alexandra,

I had the same problem and decided to buy an AZERTY keyboard, they\'re not expensive, but of course, not always easy to find if you\'re not in a francophone country. Maybe you could buy one over the internet. It\'s worth it, let me tell you, it makes things so much easier, especially if you use French a lot. Hope this helps, good luck!
[addsig]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Multilanguage plus national keyboards Jul 17, 2002

Install Windows Multilanguage facility and then install keyboards for all the relevant languages. It is quite easy to swap from one keyboard to another using the icon on the taskbar, but I have found it necessary to make out a key on paper to all the keyboards in question. You can then type accents, cedillas, circumflexes, umlauts, upside-down question and exclamation marks or whatever you need, using the relevant keyboard.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ever considered getting a Spanish qwerty? Jul 18, 2002

Hi!

Granted you\'re not working from a laptop, of all the configurations I\'ve tried, this suits me best; in addition to the ñ, all the French and German accents appear, too.

PaulaMac (X)
PaulaMac (X)
French to English
+ ...
Accents Jul 18, 2002

You have to change your keyboard setting. Go to control panel, keyboards, language and select French. If you don\'t want to set French as your default language, when you are working on the Internet and you need French accents, click on the blue EN button on the bottom right hand of the screen, and select FR (which will appear if you have selected French on the control panel).

Clear as mud?

Good luck!

[addsig]

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:52
English to French
+ ...
Cela dépend du logiciel de courrier électronique. Jul 18, 2002

Bonjour, Alexandra

Si vous utilisez Outlook, il suffit d\'activer la fonction \"Utiliser Microsoft Word comme éditeur des messages électroniques\".

Autre possibilité: Utiliser la fonction \"USA - International Keyboard\" pour le clavier.

Pour moi, cela marche très bien.

Amicalement

Bruno

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 05:52
English
+ ...
Convert! Jul 18, 2002

Personally, I\'ve converted to the AZERTY keyboard, which you can call up from the add languages function of Windows. Then you just buy an AZERTY keyboard next time you come to France or have it sent/brought over: it\'ll set you back no more than USD20.00. Bônne Châncè!

Red Cat Studios
Red Cat Studios
United Kingdom
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Try Keyman by Tavultesoft Jul 19, 2002

What I\'ve done, I\'ve downloaded FREE the latest Keyman software that allows me to install on my desktop a toolbar with switch buttons to several keyboards. I\'ve chosen only AZERTY (FR) as I\'m not intrested at the moment in Thai or Cyrilic...

Then I\'ve photocopied my QWERTY keyboard, put blank on each key and overwrite them with the AZERTY keys.

So, now, wherever I have to work - JAVA, HTML or Office for Windows, I just click on F button always visible on my Keyman toolba
... See more
What I\'ve done, I\'ve downloaded FREE the latest Keyman software that allows me to install on my desktop a toolbar with switch buttons to several keyboards. I\'ve chosen only AZERTY (FR) as I\'m not intrested at the moment in Thai or Cyrilic...

Then I\'ve photocopied my QWERTY keyboard, put blank on each key and overwrite them with the AZERTY keys.

So, now, wherever I have to work - JAVA, HTML or Office for Windows, I just click on F button always visible on my Keyman toolbar and start writing away on my keyboard as if it was an AZERTY (checking with my AZERTY Keyboard photocopy I\'m typing the right keys.

It looks odd at the begining but it works. All it takes is one second to click on your F button on and off and you don\'t have to spend a penny.

The program is available for download at the following link:

http://www.tavultesoft.com/keyman/downloads/

Good luck!

Dan
Collapse

alx
alx  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your good tips! Jul 19, 2002

Et Vive Proz!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you sort out the absence of accents from qwerty keyboards (when writing on the net)?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »