Thread poster: Tania Therien

Tania Therien
Canada
Local time: 13:27
Danish to English
+ ...
Jan 19, 2006

Hello,

I'm very much hoping to find an internship with a translation company in France or in Quebec, both to improve my French and learn more about the business. If anyone has successfully found an internship before or has any other general advice, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!
Tania

Direct link Reply with quote

Paige Stanton  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:27
French to English
Enovyez votre CV dès maintenant ! Jan 19, 2006

Chère Tania,

Trouver un stage de traduction en France pour l'été n'est pas très difficile; il suffit d'envoyer une bonne lettre de motivation ainsi que votre CV à plusieurs agences de traduction. Par contre, n'attendez pas pour le faire : les agences commencent dès le mois de janvier à chercher des stagiares pour l'été.

Quelques suggestions :

- Décidez d'abord la or les ville(s) qui vous intéresse(nt), puis utilisez les pages jaunes en ligne afin de trouver les coordonnées des agences de trad.

- Envoyez votre candidature par la Poste, puis contactez-les un peu plus tard par e-mail pour vous assurer qu'ils ont bien reçu votre courrier.

-Sachez que dans presque tous les cas, il faut que le stage rentre dans le cadre de vos études et que vous soyez rattaché à une univeristé. De cette manière, ils peuvent justifier votre embauche avec une convention de stage et vous rémunérér (environ 300 euros par mois).

J'espère que ces informations vous seront utiles.

Bon courage dans vos démarches !

Paige

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:27
French to English
Internship Jan 19, 2006

Hi Tania,

Given your language combination, I doubt you'd be able to get an internship as a translator at an agency in France or Quebec. How good is your knowledge of French? Perhaps you can get on as an administrative assistant at an agency. You'd definitely get a feel for the business and have the opportunity to improve your French at the same time.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but Danish-English is a very, very rare combination in Quebec, and I'm assuming in France as well. I think you'll have to look at options other than translation in this case.

Good luck

Tania Therien
Canada
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci pour les conseils! Jan 19, 2006

I don't write in French as well as I can read it, so I'll switch back to English. In truth, I will take any sort of position in France or Quebec that I can. I sent out my resume and a covering letter, in French, in August to a number of agencies in France. Some responded that they weren't looking for anyone at the moment, others were only looking for volunteers. It's good to know that agencies look for interns for the summer starting here in January - thank you for that. There are a couple of other factors working against me: I'm no longer a student (and after more than ten years of university, I have more than enough debt to keep me from wanting to go back any time soon), I'm a Canadian (i.e. non-EU), and I'm over 30 (the magical age when most of the youth exchange programs end).

My primary goal is to acquire a sense of fluency in French - I've studied it for a number of years, my father and grandparents sometimes spoke it at home, but I need a good, substantial burst of immersion to really cement it. Some real-life experience in French, as it were. I had been hoping to dovetail learning French with learning more about the translation business (more than I can learn with my part-time freelance work), but I'm not picky anymore!

I'll keep trying, and start casting the net a bit wider. Thank you both for your help!

Tania

Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:27
French to English
+ ...
looking for an internship Jan 22, 2006

I agree with Erika. It would be very difficult to find a translation internship in France with your language combination. An administrative position would be a good idea, but you could also consider a project management internship with a translation agency. As a project management intern, your dominant language combination is less important, as long as you have a reasonable level of French, in order to be able to communicate with clients and/or translators.

Good luck nin your search!

sindee21

Tania Therien
Canada
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Renumeration Jan 22, 2006

Thanks Sindee. I hadn't thought about project manager position - that or administration would suit me fine. Does anyone know the chances of finding a renumerated position without being a student?

Thanks,
Tania

Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:27
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Remuneration + project management Jan 23, 2006

Hi Tania!

Project management is indeed a good idea for you (because as said, you will not find anything as a translator with such a combination). But even for PM, you will need a more or less acceptable level of French. Here where I work, we are quite fond of having English or German natives as trainees in PM, because their skills are very useful for some reviewing or to chat with our English/German translators. But still most of their work is done in French, including telephone calls, and all traines we have had had an excellent level of French (for most of them, you would not have heard they were not French). So I fear it might not do if your French is not very good. But you can try anyway, it doesn't cost much! Maybe in a bigger agency they will have interest in an only English speaking person.

But then for remuneration, I don't think your position is very confortable: whether you are paid or not is not the question, I think that you just can't do an internship without being a student, from a legal point of view I mean. The point is just that you have no legal right to work in a company other than as an employee or as a trainee (i.e. student). Well I'm not 100% sure about that, I'll check with our human resources and tell you, but I'm almost sure it is so.

Good luck anyway!
If your goal is only to learn French, maybe you'd just look for any job and not especially for a translation internship?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chercher un stage/Looking for an internship

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search