Question on Antoine de Saint-Exupéry: Terre des Hommes II
Thread poster: Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:58
German to English
Sep 5, 2006

Dear colleagues, firstly, my apologies for my non-existent French. I translate from German to English. However, a client has asked me for a short translation of a German text that is actually originally French. "The Wisdom of the Sands" is the Englisch title of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's Terre des Hommes II. It is from this that I have the text:

If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work; but, rather, teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.

This is the first paragraph, which can be easily located on the net (which is why I have it in English). I have a further four paragraphs in German. Does anybody own the English translation or know where it can be read online?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

[Edited at 2006-09-05 08:49]

Direct link Reply with quote

Francis MARC
Lithuania
Local time: 13:58
English to French
+ ...
here are some tracks, good luck Sep 5, 2006

PricewaterhouseCoopers Switzerland CareerSi vous voulez construire un navire, ne vous contentez pas de réunir du bois, ... mer que sillonnera le bateau jusqu’à les en faire rêver... » Saint Exupéry ...
www.pwccareer.ch/fr/themen/keine_angst.shtml - 16k - En cache - Pages similaires

[PDF] Final Storytelling_F 08-2005.qxpFormat de fichier: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Version HTML
progressive. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry relève ce. point magnifiquement dans la citation suivante :. « Si vous voulez construire un navire, il ne suffit pas ...
www.managers-gestionnaires.gc.ca/get_real/chapter2_f.pdf - Pages similaires

Club des Amis - SUPPORTERS - SITE OFFICIEL DU CLUB DE FOOTBALL DE ...Si vous voulez construire un bateau, ne vous contentez pas de réunir des hommes, du bois et du fer, mais parlez-leur ... Antoine de St-Exupéry Privilèges ...
www.xamax.ch/pages/supporters.asp/5-0-27-9-4-1/ - 26k - En cache - Pages similaires

Actualité en éducation, nouvelles sur les TIC : L'Infobourg ...Si vous voulez construire un bateau, il est inutile de réunir des hommes, ... envie de partir à la découverte de mers lointaines. — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry ...
www.infobourg.com/sections/actualite/actualite.php?id=4985 - 36k - En cache - Pages similaires

[PDF] santropol roulantFormat de fichier: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Version HTML
Si vous voulez construire un bateau, il est inutile de réunir des hommes, ... Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, extrait de « Du vent, du sable et des étoiles » ...
www.santropolroulant.org/images/ar2005FR.pdf

Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
You can buy the book here in English Sep 5, 2006

This is a great book, one of my favorites.
I was able to find an English translation at Amazon.com. The English title is actually "Wind, Sand and Stars."
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0151970874/ref=pd_cp_b_title/103-4671077-5248656?ie=UTF8

"The Wisdom of the Sands" is the translation of his works Citadelle.

And finally you must check out the very comprehensive St.-Exupéry site with loads of links to other sites: http://www.westegg.com/exupery/

Hope this helps.

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 6, 2006

Thank you Francis and Nicholas. It appears that the complete text is not available anywhere, presumably because it is still copyright protected So I had to try my hand at translating into English the German translation of a French original. Oh-oh...

Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Citadelle Sep 6, 2006

Hi Alan,

Good luck with the translation! I tried searching for you, but no luck. It did however inspire me to go out and buy the book... in French, yesterday
So thanks! I have a feeling I will enjoy it.

Axel Angeli
English to German
Link to original Sep 16, 2006

Does anybody have a printed version where the citation is actually contained? It is evident that the phrase is no part of the original comilation of neither "La Citadelle" or "Terre des Hommes" ... the text may stem either from an interview or letter and hence might have been in one of the editions of "La Citadelle" .... maybe even in the American edition only .... From many years OK I had noted as source Terre des Homme, II but the editions I have do not bear the citation. Btw. the most frequently cited original French text is:

"Quand tu veux construire un bateau, ne commence pas par rassembler du bois, couper des planches et distribuer du travail, mais réveille au sein des hommes le désir de la mer grande et large!"

http://www.saint-exupery.org/ does not know about it ...

"If you want to build a ship, don't start drumming up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders.
Instead, dream with them to yearn for the wide and endless sea!"

"Wenn Du ein Schiff bauen willst, dann fange nicht damit an Leute zusammen zu scharen, Planken zu sägen und die arbeit zu verteilen, sondern Träume mit den Menschen von der Sehnsucht nach dem Großen, Weiten Meer!"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question on Antoine de Saint-Exupéry: Terre des Hommes II

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search