Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:47
Russian to English
+ ...
Dec 27, 2002

This job was posted today. Interestingly, the person posting the job lists their own rates, in their proz profile, as being minimum USD100 per 1000 and, get this, USD60-100 per hour, and yet they expect other professionals (who must be accredited and have \'detailed\' experience) to work for peanuts. This makes me really angry!

French to English, Contract, 1637 words

French>English

Agreement for licensing of trademark for
... See more
This job was posted today. Interestingly, the person posting the job lists their own rates, in their proz profile, as being minimum USD100 per 1000 and, get this, USD60-100 per hour, and yet they expect other professionals (who must be accredited and have \'detailed\' experience) to work for peanuts. This makes me really angry!

French to English, Contract, 1637 words

French>English

Agreement for licensing of trademark for toys and merchandise

1637 words

French to English

Needs accredition/detailed experience in an English-speaking country (UK, US, etc.)

No sample available. Needs to sign confidentiality agreement prior to commencement of work.

Pricing:

0.05 USD per word (0.03 GBP)
Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:47
English to French
+ ...
other way round Dec 27, 2002

Yes, we also had that on the other side:

2300-word literature essay, English to French. Some bits and pieces are already in French (they will be counted and paid for anyway).

File format is MS Word (deliver the same).

Deadline for completion is December 30th, morning.

Extrait de texte (à traduire par les candidats)

Before the 1890s there were fewer than 80,000 Jews living in France, “mostly well assimilated except in Alsace” (Cob
... See more
Yes, we also had that on the other side:

2300-word literature essay, English to French. Some bits and pieces are already in French (they will be counted and paid for anyway).

File format is MS Word (deliver the same).

Deadline for completion is December 30th, morning.

Extrait de texte (à traduire par les candidats)

Before the 1890s there were fewer than 80,000 Jews living in France, “mostly well assimilated except in Alsace” (Cobban, p.49).

Pricing:

0.05 USD per word

check, proz payments or paypal only

The facts that it is an emergency deadline and on the week-end would have made it worth the double. I got interested in the subject, but finally I refused.
Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
React to these postings: the more the merrier Dec 27, 2002

I often write respectful answsers to these posters to show them that what they are asking for is a joke. It is important for MANY PEOPLE to do this, the more people do this, the less these kinds of posters will tend to post. Imagine getting 40 response questioning your post politely?

Cheers and Happy New Year

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
An Idea Dec 28, 2002

Wouldn\'t be a good idea if someone would write a standard letter to answer this kind of job offer and we could just send it \"en masse\" to teach them?

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Why criticize? Dec 28, 2002

Why criticize people for wanting to pay less? We all do it. Faced with competition from countries in the developing world, whole industries - textiles and consumer

electronics manufacturing, to name just two - have largely disappeared from Europe. Why? Because Europeans prefer to buy cheaper shirts, socks and TV sets from

Asia. German roads are now full of foreign-registered trucks. Not all of them are transit freight - many are delivering to and from German businesses, and
... See more
Why criticize people for wanting to pay less? We all do it. Faced with competition from countries in the developing world, whole industries - textiles and consumer

electronics manufacturing, to name just two - have largely disappeared from Europe. Why? Because Europeans prefer to buy cheaper shirts, socks and TV sets from

Asia. German roads are now full of foreign-registered trucks. Not all of them are transit freight - many are delivering to and from German businesses, and German

haulage companies, unable to compete with the lower prices, are going bankrupt in droves. Who willingly pays more for the same thing? Cheap competition is here to

stay. But that\'s only half the story.

Instead of pointing the finger at clients offering 5 cents or less, you should be looking more closely at the translators who are working for these clients. These

colleagues are either providing adequate quality, or they aren\'t. If they are, perhaps they should be encouraged to raise their rates. That\'s what some of you are

already doing, and rightly so. Many of those working for low rates, though, are doing so because the quality of their work doesn\'t justify more. You only have to

look at some of the profiles, of people offering more target languages than they could possibly have mastered to educated native speaker level, demonstrating their

incompetence by posting messages in those target languages which show a lack of familiarity with even basic grammar, and accepting work in any and every subject

area, to gain an idea of what kind of work is (often, not always) being provided for 0.05 cents.

Marc
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:47
English to German
+ ...
Better check the Blue Board first Dec 28, 2002

Sometimes an entry in the Blue Board shows, that the job poster is not even worth a word.

If the Blue Board does not show too much negative, I use to offer my usual rates, ignoring theirs. This should be clear enough, particularly if many translators do it.

Red Cat Studios
Red Cat Studios
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:47
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Excellent point of view, but... Dec 29, 2002

Quote:

Many of those working for low rates, though, are doing so because the quality of their work doesn\'t justify more. Marc

This is an excellent point of view about all of us being users and consumers of cheaper and cheaper stuff in our daily lives.

I would just add another point of view to that. Cheaper translator does not always mean less proficiency. Some of the colleagues offering the
... See more
Quote:

Many of those working for low rates, though, are doing so because the quality of their work doesn\'t justify more. Marc

This is an excellent point of view about all of us being users and consumers of cheaper and cheaper stuff in our daily lives.

I would just add another point of view to that. Cheaper translator does not always mean less proficiency. Some of the colleagues offering their services for less are living in these very countries where life is still cheaper according to Western European standards. Some of them are highly proficient in more than their native language and their skills accredited by major professional associations or worldwide professional communities.

The fact they can offer cheaper rates is made possible, as I said, by the very fact of living in a country where economic levels are lower than the ones in our countries. Therefore, rates as low (for us here!) as 3cents a word may value up to ten times more to them in their country, which means for them is a pretty good deal...

Yes, sadly, this is the reverse of the medal when we cherish the idea of living in “developed” countries and look towards the “others” with a sort of despise.

Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 19:47
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

I agree with Jane and Lien Jan 5, 2003

I think the answer to this is a reply, en masse, stating that you cannot possibly expect one to pay of student loans, live, raise families and pay mortgages etc on peanuts.

As Marc has stated, there are some shysters out there (remember one who cut & pasted, sentence by sentence, every test text on Proz jobs, and expected the rest of us to do it for her?)

Agencies need to realise that it can be rather costly to pay someone 3 or 5c for a substandard product, then have to pay a
... See more
I think the answer to this is a reply, en masse, stating that you cannot possibly expect one to pay of student loans, live, raise families and pay mortgages etc on peanuts.

As Marc has stated, there are some shysters out there (remember one who cut & pasted, sentence by sentence, every test text on Proz jobs, and expected the rest of us to do it for her?)

Agencies need to realise that it can be rather costly to pay someone 3 or 5c for a substandard product, then have to pay a pro onsiderably more to fix it, and usually under punishing deadlines.

The answer? Of course, there will always be residents of countries with lower costs of living; North Americans and Europeans cannot compete with that. But for quality work, professionals can stick to their guns.

I\'ve brought this up elsewhere: Pros, unite!
Collapse

Nancy Bonnefond
Nancy Bonnefond
France
English to French
+ ...
Complètement d'accord!! Jan 17, 2003

These cheap offers are most often accepted by people from the poorest countries. I don\'t blame them as I would probably work for the same rates if I lived there. When you need to make a decent living the rates don\'t matter much, and it doesn\'t mean that these translators don\'t do a good job.

Quote:

On 2002-12-29 07:24, Dan LP wrote:

Quote:

Many of those working fo... See more
These cheap offers are most often accepted by people from the poorest countries. I don\'t blame them as I would probably work for the same rates if I lived there. When you need to make a decent living the rates don\'t matter much, and it doesn\'t mean that these translators don\'t do a good job.

Quote:

On 2002-12-29 07:24, Dan LP wrote:

Quote:

I would just add another point of view to that. Cheaper translator does not always mean less proficiency. Some of the colleagues offering their services for less are living in these very countries where life is still cheaper according to Western European standards. Some of them are highly proficient in more than their native language and their skills accredited by major professional associations or worldwide professional communities.

The fact they can offer cheaper rates is made possible, as I said, by the very fact of living in a country where economic levels are lower than the ones in our countries. Therefore, rates as low (for us here!) as 3cents a word may value up to ten times more to them in their country, which means for them is a pretty good deal...

Yes, sadly, this is the reverse of the medal when we cherish the idea of living in “developed” countries and look towards the “others” with a sort of despise.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another disgraceful rate being offered

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »