Interpreting needed for wedding???
Thread poster: Veronique Duran
Veronique Duran
Veronique Duran  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:29
English to French
+ ...
Feb 12, 2008

Has anybody received the message below which looks like a scam of sort? Let me have your opinions on this please. What do you think?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hello,

I'm Mark and My fiancee Mary are planning to have our wedding in the Month of April.I have decided to give her a well treated package by giving her three options of venue of celebration amongst UK,Canada and USA
... See more
Has anybody received the message below which looks like a scam of sort? Let me have your opinions on this please. What do you think?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hello,

I'm Mark and My fiancee Mary are planning to have our wedding in the Month of April.I have decided to give her a well treated package by giving her three options of venue of celebration amongst UK,Canada and USA.Based on her option, She has decided to choose UK and We will be staying within Your area.We will be staying in UK for 3 Weeks from 5th of April to 26th of April 2008.My Fiancee only speaks French and My native language,because her mum happens to come from Malaysia which I am also from.

We will require the services of a French interpreter for 3 hours daily,for any 5 days that will be suitable for You within the period that We will be staying.I will not be available to go shopping with Her because I will also be busy taking care of some other wedding arrangements.So We will like to pay You in advance of our visit so She can be assured of an interpreter during her shopping for the wedding because this is her first visit.An early reply will be appreciated.

Please acknowledge if you can offer this service and give me a price quote,as soon as you receive this email,so we can conclude on all other arrangemnts ASAP, as time is not really on our side.

Remain Blessed,

Mark.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:29
English to French
+ ...
Arnaque Feb 12, 2008

C'est une arnaque, n'y porte même pas attention!

Voilà le fil que je cherchais: http://www.proz.com/topic/26822

[Edited at 2008-02-12 09:40]

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Yes, somebody else has Feb 12, 2008

See http://www.proz.com/topic/96668

Same kind of thing, only the language and countries have changed...

[Edited at 2008-02-12 10:22]

Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
English to French
got it, deleted it! Feb 12, 2008

They don't tire easily, do they?
Same old scam.

Carole

Nisreen Barakat
Nisreen Barakat  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 07:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
Don't pay any attention to it Feb 12, 2008

I once received a similar proposal from an african business man offering me to accompany his wife and children during their stay in Brussels to help them in conversing with shop keepers and so on.
I took it seriously at the time and replied to him apologizing and mentioning that I can't accept his offer. He never replied which proves that its not serious.

But my question is, what do people gain from doing such things?

Best regards

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
what do people gain from doing such things? Feb 12, 2008

Nisreen Barakat wrote:
what do people gain from doing such things?
Best regards

Once you agree to work for them, they send you a cheque to pay you, but ooops, it's for more than the amount you stated, so (counting on your honesty) they ask you to make a transfer of the excess payment. When the cheque is cleared (which takes longer than a transfer) you discover there are no funds for the payment.

Pierre Renault
Pierre Renault
Local time: 00:29
French to English
+ ...
Just curious Feb 12, 2008

I've never been to the U.K., I don't have any detailed maps handy, and Google Earth is no help.

> We will be staying within Your area.

Where exactly is the town or county of "Your".

Answers that refer to Meriden ( as in 175 miles N-N-E of Meriden) will be accepted.

Pierre

Laetitia Wajnapel
Laetitia Wajnapel
English to French
+ ...
Received the scam email too Feb 14, 2008

Hi,

I have received this email too last week (8th feb). "Mark" was asking for my interpreter services for his fiancee while they were in London. Being quite new to the whole thing (even though I am more than aware of the usual internet scams), I replied to him and we exchanged a few emails. I became certain it was a scam after his last email when he says he will send me a cheque of more than the amount I quoted for my services, so that I can transfer some money to a magazine on his
... See more
Hi,

I have received this email too last week (8th feb). "Mark" was asking for my interpreter services for his fiancee while they were in London. Being quite new to the whole thing (even though I am more than aware of the usual internet scams), I replied to him and we exchanged a few emails. I became certain it was a scam after his last email when he says he will send me a cheque of more than the amount I quoted for my services, so that I can transfer some money to a magazine on his behalf (?!?). I replied to him that I didn't feel comfortable doing this and that if he sent me the cheque anyway I'd have to either destroy it or send it back after having it checked by the fraud department at my bank.

I'll see what his reply is. And how far he is willing to push this stupid scam.

Happy Valentine's day everyone!

Laetitia
Collapse

Penny Papadopoulou (X)
Penny Papadopoulou (X)
United Kingdom
English to Greek
+ ...
It is definitely a scam! Feb 18, 2008

I just received the same email but this time they are looking for a... Greek Interpreter!!!

Spread the word!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting needed for wedding???

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »