Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Translate this comic (April 26, 2011)
Thread poster: RominaZ

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 26, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share pictures of found mistranslations, comics, images representing translation, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

If you had to translate this comic, how would you do it?

What's your approach? Do you favor content or effect?

MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:42
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
effect, because it's intended to be funny Apr 26, 2011

The desired effect is to cause the reader to laugh, so I would go for that, keeping in mind that statement at the bottom about too much time online.

If I couldn't come up with something about the baby being a male, I would try to think of something along the lines of how people in the target language say "You´ve got mail" and work on some sort of play on words with that. The important thing in this case is not the gender of the baby, but that the doctor is so influenced by the internet.

In Mexican Spanish, maybe "¡Tienes un male!" would work, since one way of saying it is "Tienes un mail." It could have the added effect of showing how some people feel more important when they use English words. I would test it with some native speakers first, though, before sending it anywhere.

Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:42
French to English
+ ...
A suggestion Apr 26, 2011

I think the bottom part "A sure sign that your doctor spends too much time online" can be pretty much translated as is, maybe play around with the "you've got male" instead. It'll be hard to find an equivalent, so I'd maybe move away from it altogether and go for something completely different but still IT-related - how about "Descarga completa"???? =0)

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:42
Chinese to English
Not easy Apr 26, 2011

生了个小警警!

I can't think of an internet meme in Chinese with either a direct reference to boys or a homophone for the word male that I can work with. There might be a joke to be got out of 先行者, but I can't work out how to phrase it.

If we omit the reference to it being a boy, and just focus on the internet addiction, it's easier. Especially given that the original cartoon isn't actually funny...
有跟贴了!

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Apr 26, 2011

Paul Lambert wrote:

I think the bottom part "A sure sign that your doctor spends too much time online" can be pretty much translated as is, maybe play around with the "you've got male" instead. It'll be hard to find an equivalent, so I'd maybe move away from it altogether and go for something completely different but still IT-related - how about "Descarga completa"???? =0)

You really made me laugh!

Marina

Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
A suggestion for Brazilian Portuguese. Apr 26, 2011

I think in Brazilian Portuguese a good solution would be "Olha o moleque", based on our direct translation for "you got mail = Olha a mensagem!!" used on cell phones for texts. "Moleque = menino (boy, male). Also the tone would be crucial.

I would translate:

"Um sinal claro de que seu médico passa muito tempo online:

"Olha o moleque"

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Where would it be used? Apr 26, 2011

RominaZ wrote:
If you had to translate this comic, how would you do it? ... What's your approach? Do you favor content or effect?

Where would the cartoon be used? Which is more important, in other words -- content or effect?

[Edited at 2011-04-26 18:21 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Download completed! Apr 26, 2011

By simply removing the EN-only worldplay mail/male, this becomes translateable to any language.

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 19:42
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
What José said Apr 26, 2011

Indeed, we're lucky the baby is facing the other way so his sex doesn't come into the equation. With that ignored, translating it should be easy.

Give us another one!

Raquel Bentué  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Good! Apr 27, 2011

Paul Lambert wrote:

I think that's very good. Almost makes the joke better! Not only you got the effect, but also the cultural adaptation.

You cannot play on words male/mail in European Spanish, because the target reader will not understand.

3ADE shadab
Local time: 01:12
Hindi to English
+ ...
Great.. Apr 27, 2011

Although i can not translate, but like the creativity of artist.. Great indeed

Anastasia Giagopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:42
Member (2007)
English to Greek
Excellent! Apr 28, 2011

Paul Lambert wrote:

I also believe that this is the best way to deal with this play. It would be too difficult to translate the exact thing in Greek. Therefore, it would be better to focus on the second phrase of the image instead of "You've got male!". A good alternative it would be to try and find a humorous wordplay in the target language (Greek) within the IT context.

Toni Romero  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Very good, indeed Apr 28, 2011

Paul Lambert wrote:

As it has been said, you have improved the joke a whole lot. Congratulations!

BirgitBerlin  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Wordplay Apr 30, 2011

Since this wordplay with male/mail probably only works in English, I would move away from a "translation" and try and find a new punchline.
As it is all about spending too much time online, how about something along the lines of "it's wireless".
That would probably work in any language.

Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:42
English to Russian
+ ...
Russian - my try Apr 30, 2011

"У вас мыльчик!"
Кажется, ваш доктор пересидел в чатах.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Translate this comic (April 26, 2011)

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search