Off topic: Translate this sign! (October 15, 2011)
Thread poster: RominaZ

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 15, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share pictures of found mistranslations, comics, images representing translation, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Source: English Whirled Wide

How would you handle the situation? Would you translate it anyway? Would you point out to the client that this does not make any sense? Whatever your approach would be, please give it a try! The results may be funnier than the original.

Direct link Reply with quote

Mustafa Mahmoud  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 04:12
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
+ ...
i will translate it Oct 15, 2011

as "Chairs are for SITTING only

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:12
German to English
+ ...
Electric chairs? Oct 15, 2011

Are they electric chairs?

Enrique-Manzo  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
Apache languages to Ancient Hebrew
+ ...
Context? Oct 15, 2011

This sign only makes sense if the right context is provided. I mean, they could be electric chairs or wheelchairs. Any kind of chair with another purpose but for sitting.

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:12
German to English
+ ...
You break the chair, you pay for it. Oct 15, 2011

It must be one of those places. Unless of course, the true intended purpose of a chair is actually to break it over someone elses's head.

Faustine Roux  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
I was told the same ! Oct 15, 2011

That reminds me of the headmaster in my high school who said :

"Don't sit here, chairs are not for sitting !"

OK...

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Germany
Local time: 03:12
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
My guess is... Oct 15, 2011

..that this refers to massage chairs - you find them sometimes in service stations on highways, and you can throw a coin in and get a massage. I remember seeing signs on them that tried to keep people from just sitting in them for free...

Simon Davies  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some things are not always what they seem... Oct 16, 2011

Are they commodes? In which case, I think the translation does not really need to be expanded on.

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:12
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Interpretation Oct 16, 2011

Could be dentist's chairs. If you are waiting for dental treatment (ouch!) you can sit in the chairs, but if you are just a visitor you may not. (This is one possibility).

Steve Booth  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
hmm Oct 31, 2011

Allison Wright wrote:

It must be one of those places. Unless of course, the true intended purpose of a chair is actually to break it over someone elses's head.

in my younger days i used to frequent a few establishments where the chairs were specifically designed to break when someone was hit with them and this was tested out quite regularly (Usually on a friday night)

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Exactly, massage chairs Oct 31, 2011

in my younger days i used to frequent a few establishments where the chairs were specifically designed to break when someone was hit with them and this was tested out quite regularly (Usually on a friday night)

Shiatsu massage, for sure!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Translate this sign! (October 15, 2011)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search