Off topic: ABC: The new alphabet for kids in the digital age
Thread poster: RominaZ

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 28, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share pictures of found mistranslations, comics, images representing translation, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

When we started school many years ago, we had to learn the ABC. Kids still do, but the only thing that stayed the same is that A still stands for Apple!

Old alphabet

New alphabet

Source: Witness this

Direct link Reply with quote

#JuliaC#  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:01
German to Italian
+ ...
Very nice Oct 28, 2011

Thank you for sharing.... though I prefer the oldest alphabet and would probably teach it to my children...

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:01
Swedish to English
+ ...
Phonetically Oct 28, 2011

Funny - but phonetically there's a bit of a problem with C, I and U.

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
A slight difference.... Oct 29, 2011

On our alphabets, "x" used to stand for "XYLOPHONE".

Not exactly the most common word, but I guess lots of children play with toy xylophones. (The Fisher Price ones are great - you can get animal shaped xylophones). I'm such an eternal child

I remember it always made us feel intelligent when we were 5 because xylophone seemed like a very grown up word.

- Not keen on the "new" alphabet.

Milena Nikolić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
prefer the old one Oct 31, 2011

I quess children adopt new things faster and in modern electronic society this new alphabet IS their reality.
But I'm afraid that they might get their childhood stolen- or at least be forced to grow up faster old Bugs Bunny cartoons are disappearing together with that old drawing of alphabet, playing hide and seek, dools' house and many other things...

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
No preference here Oct 31, 2011

But I'm afraid that they might get their childhood stolen- or at least be forced to grow up faster old Bugs Bunny cartoons are disappearing together with that old drawing of alphabet, playing hide and seek, dools' house and many other things..

But I'm afraid that they might get their childhood stolen- or at least be forced to grow up faster. ________(insert a well loved memory from your childhood here) are disappearing together with ________________,_____________________, and many other things..

Well, I guess you will find this phrase throughout all periods of time (or at least since kids are supposed to have a childhood). The old things kids used to play vs. the new things. Why are we so afraid of new stuff coming up? I still remember the times when nobody had computers and cellphones. But I don't think that those times were better than the ones we live in now. I don't think that they were worse, either. I think the best word to use is "different".

[Edited at 2011-10-31 14:43 GMT]

Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
English to French
P for PowerPoint Oct 31, 2011

I think P should be for PowerPoint. Try and teach something to kids without PowerPoint nowadays...

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

ABC: The new alphabet for kids in the digital age

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search