Off topic: Why working from home is both awesome and horrible
Thread poster: Ty Kendall

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:18
Hebrew to English
Oct 31, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share pictures of found mistranslations, comics, images representing translation, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

6a0133f49ae5a4970b013487c9ed63970c-pi

Full cartoon: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/working_home

I think it's possible to add to their categories of:

Awesome
•No more waking up unnaturally early
•Less time spend in the car
•Fewer interruptions
•Less eating out
•A flexible schedule

Horrible
•Degradation of social skills
•Distractions
•Stress on relationships
•Loss of regimen
•Lack of employee banter

Definitely noticed this one myself:
stress-on-relationships.jpg
Not to mention the severe case of cabin fever I'm currently enduring.

Miris Fernandes
Brazil
Local time: 08:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
See the good side of it... Oct 31, 2011

...at least the hair is growing up, and after she barfs her intestines you start to run from her, you might drop off some pounds.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Awe Oct 31, 2011

I just can't see what's awesome about working from home. The view from the summit of Everest is awesome. The word "awesome", used as slang, is just annoying. Awe is a rarely experienced emotion.

More modestly, I like working from home because after half a lifetime spent in the office environment i find it much more agreeable, and less stressful, not to have to play office politics, and to be able to work whatever hours and at whatever speed suits me.

[Edited at 2011-10-31 17:15 GMT]

Chris Dawe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Office politics Oct 31, 2011

I agree with Tom. In no way can I ever miss the interminable games of office politicing: back-stabbing; chinese whispers; scheming; petty jealousies; cabal forming; plot hatching. Being greeted with a "MornING" instead of a "Hi" or a "Good morning", thereby indicating you've seemingly committed some heinous crime or other to the person whose desk you've just walked past, or to be met with no greeting at all. It's only in such circumstances you begin to realise how childish adults can actually be.

I suspect millions would almost readily take up the option of being guillotined on the spot rather than having to face walking through that office door (again) for the xth time in the gestation period of whatever job they happen to have been stuck in for the Xth year.

It isn't ALL bad, the cameradery you can experience and the new friends you can often make working in an organisation or company can sometimes be quite exhilarating. You learn a lot about your job from peers in the workplace too and you can help and teach others, it's an experience we have all grown from, but when it's bad, it's the pits!icon_biggrin.gif

United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Off topic Oct 31, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

I just can't see what's awesome about working from home. The view from the summit of Everest is awesome. The word "awesome", used as slang, is just annoying. Awe is a rarely experienced emotion.

More modestly, I like working from home because after half a lifetime spent in the office environment i find it much more agreeable, and less stressful, not to have to play office politics, and to be able to work whatever hours and at whatever speed suits me.

[Edited at 2011-10-31 17:15 GMT]

Language changes Tom, stop fighting it!icon_smile.gif ....and I thought I was a prescriptivist! I can't hold a candle to you on this front!icon_smile.gif ...I think your prescriptivism is totally awesome, gnarly even.icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I don't miss office politics in the slightest. Nor any of the things Chris mentioned that I can all too easily identify with. There are the odd days when I get the "grass is greener on the other side" feeling, but I quickly snap out of it.

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Where's the 'Like' button? Oct 31, 2011

Not much to add but agree wholeheartedly about not missing office politics, the commute, hierarchical nonsense, scheming etc. What I do miss: 1) feeling like a social being 2) seeing a World beyond my computer screen 3) being thought of as having a 'real' job (I'm sure my friends secretly think I sit around at home on a fat inheritance playing at being a translator - not that anyone knows what a translator is anyway).

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
"I'm a translator" Oct 31, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:

Not much to add but agree wholeheartedly about not missing office politics, the commute, hierarchical nonsense, scheming etc. What I do miss: 1) feeling like a social being 2) seeing a World beyond my computer screen 3) being thought of as having a 'real' job (I'm sure my friends secretly think I sit around at home on a fat inheritance playing at being a translator - not that anyone knows what a translator is anyway).

Hmm. Yes. How many of us have had the experience of being at a party or some other social setting, and someone asks "What do you do?" and you reply "I'm a translator"

Silence.

So you say "I'm fascinated by language".

Silence.

And so the party goes on.....

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:18
Member (2015)
German to English
or the usual reply Oct 31, 2011

from ex-pats in your host country, "oh, yes, I could do that too. How about sending me something to translate for you...."

United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Translation = perfect career for misanthropes Oct 31, 2011

....and agoraphobicsicon_smile.gifhuman-beings.gif
I actually don't miss human beings. Especially incompetent power-crazed "managers" or robotic zombie-like co-workers. I don't miss "Performance Development" or any other American-inspired nonsense. I don't miss timed breaks, being spoken to like I'm braindead, being asked (on a daily basis) to give to charity, being asked (on a weekly basis) to volunteer for something moronic, being asked (on a monthly basis) if I wanted to go on a "work-do" and spend even more time with these lemmings, who I could barely stand to be around as it was.

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
The office party Oct 31, 2011

I, too, adore working from home after years of the much-mentioned tedium of office politics/gossip/insanely spoilt bosses, etc. to which I wouldn't return for anything.
I especially enjoy my self-employed office Christmas party when I have a few too many and make a pass at myself behind the filing cabinet ...
Joyeux novembre,
Jenny

Annett S. Brown, MBA, CT
United States
Local time: 06:18
Member (2009)
German to English
Love working from home. Nov 1, 2011

I used to work in corporate America for probably a few years too many. Aside from what has already been stated by others, here are some reasons I love working from home these days:

- I don't have to use every makeup trick in the world to come up with a reasonably presentable face at an ungodly hour.

- I don't have to buy and wear uncomfortable corporate outfits. No more nylons!

- Quarterly/annual performance reviews - definitely don't miss those. What a humiliating and useless exercise that was.

I have plenty of opportunities to meet with other people. There is always something going on in a big city like Dallas. Lots of expat get-togethers, etc. When I'm asked what I do for a living, I usually reply that I am a linguist (rather than a translator). This seems to keep the notion of "oh my gardener can do that too" a bit more at bay.

Huasha
China
Local time: 19:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree Nov 1, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Lisa Simpson wrote:

Hmm. Yes. How many of us have had the experience of being at a party or some other social setting, and someone asks "What do you do?" and you reply "I'm a translator"

Silence.

So you say "I'm fascinated by language".

Silence.

And so the party goes on.....

This happens sometimes, and now when people ask the same question, I say: nothing, I'm hunting. What do you suggest?

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just about to answer this and... Nov 1, 2011

... darn! I've left the iron switched on for the past hour...

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Why working from home is both awesome and horrible

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search