Off topic: How to pronounce the "th" sound in English
Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 21, 2012

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share pictures of found mistranslations, comics, images representing translation, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Source: Englishdaybyday.net

Simona Pop
Simona Pop  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 04:14
Member (2017)
English to Romanian
+ ...
cool! Mar 21, 2012

)

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:14
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
:-) :-) :-) Mar 21, 2012

Yesss...

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:14
Hebrew to English
One of the reasons... Mar 21, 2012

I'm glad English is my native language. I never envisioned it would be that hard to pronounce but the majority of foreigners do seem to struggle with it (unless it occurs in their language too i.e. Greeks and a few others).

If you want hard to articulate.....try Pharyngeals.

[Edited at 2012-03-21 13:04 GMT]

nweatherdon
nweatherdon
Canada
French to English
+ ...
The tip of the tongue between the teeth Mar 21, 2012

Repeat out loud, and do as the sentence says. In time it becomes less exaggerated and more natural.

Fun picture though

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
A trip through memory lane Mar 21, 2012

this is, because I actually saw this happen during my secondary school in The Netherlands. The English teacher got so annoyed with people getting it wrong, that he very loudly made it clear to people how it should be done - with flying dentures as a result. Hilarious!

Ivan Petryshyn
Ivan Petryshyn
English to Italian
+ ...
how to pronounce it Mar 21, 2012

you should:
1. review the Old English and Dutch, as well as Gothic- 3 months approximately;
2. develop a clear understanding of the D articulation - 1 more month;
3. stich your tongue in-between the teeth and pronounce Old germanic "D"!
4. memorize the tongue position and repeat it every day before you go to bed!
Ivan Petryshyn

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Apocryphal Mar 23, 2012

There's a story, probably apocryphal, about a world-famous Spanish architect who, appointed Dean at a prestigious American university, had to give an inaugural lecture about his work.

In the course of his lecture he seemed to very frequently refer to sickness and death.

His American audience assumed this was the way European intellectuals think.

Then some way into the lecture, after the architect had shown a few slides, they realised he was trying to say "t
... See more
There's a story, probably apocryphal, about a world-famous Spanish architect who, appointed Dean at a prestigious American university, had to give an inaugural lecture about his work.

In the course of his lecture he seemed to very frequently refer to sickness and death.

Then some way into the lecture, after the architect had shown a few slides, they realised he was trying to say "thickness" and "depth".
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
through ? Mar 23, 2012

Theo Bernards wrote:

this is, because I actually saw this happen during my secondary school in The Netherlands. The English teacher got so annoyed with people getting it wrong, that he very loudly made it clear to people how it should be done - with flying dentures as a result. Hilarious!

It's "down" memory lane. "Through memory lane" sounds quite funny

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I love this story! :-) Mar 23, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Then some way into the lecture, after the architect had shown a few slides, they realised he was trying to say "thickness" and "depth".

I do recall a particular broadcast on German talk radio in the early 70s on how to pronounce this pesky "th". Memorable, because it coincided with my first English classes in fourth grade. It was recommended to pronounce it as a sharp "s". Ouch, I am not making this up. The problem that very young language learners all over the world have to encounter is that their teachers are not native speakers, hence the first thing the children will adopt is a weird accent. It's not their fault.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Not gonna change... Mar 23, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:
their teachers are not native speakers, hence the first thing the children will adopt is a weird accent. It's not their fault.

At least in ELT circles, the idea of the native speaker teacher as in any way preferable is deeply politically incorrect.

It's all about "equality", no matter how misplaced the sentiment.

It's not that non-native speaking teachers are bad, not at all, there are a plethora of academic papers discussing the pros and cons of both "types" of teacher - the general consensus being that they "complement" each other, that both have strengths and weaknesses - clearly accent modelling is a strength of the native speaker teacher.

It does remind me though of a class I was observing where the teacher was a native Polish speaker, she was teaching household objects (mirror, carpet, TV, wardrobe etc)...

Apart from all the "Rs" being heavily trilled - a feature of some accents sure, but not to this extent.
In addition, I almost died when she was drilling the pronunciation of "chest of drawers" (chest of drouw-ers).

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yorkshire surnames Mar 23, 2012

Imagine the misery for non-English speakers of those Yorkshire surnames that abound in "th"s, Thistlethwaite, for example, or "w"s, also difficult for some non-English speakers, such as Whishlade.
Jenny

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Worcester Sauce. Mar 23, 2012

Available in every grocery store and very delicious. Try to tell anyone how to pronounce this thing. Or certain English cities...

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Worcester sauce Mar 23, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Available in every grocery store and very delicious. Try to tell anyone how to pronounce this thing. Or certain English cities...

It's actually called Worcestershire sauce, so an even better challenge

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I see :-) Mar 23, 2012

Rachel Fell wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

It's actually called Worcestershire sauce, so an even better challenge

How cruel...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to pronounce the "th" sound in English

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »