Off topic: How much you care when "you could care less"
Thread poster: RominaZ

RominaZ  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 5, 2012

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Source: The Doghouse Diaries

A little Friday Fun.

Have a great weekend!

Direct link Reply with quote

Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:30
Portuguese to English
Really funny YouTube video on this... Oct 5, 2012

Great Romina!

Reminded me of this You Tube video on the subject, which is also quite amusing..

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:30
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, I like it Oct 5, 2012

Yes, David Mitchell, speaking (he claims, perhaps slightly tongue-in-cheek, on behalf of the Queen, explains it in a correct and amusing way on that YouTube video; perhaps more entertaining than my remark about "could care less" here:“native_language”_claims_be_verified-page182.html#2026808

He also said she doesn't approve of saying "hold down the fort", when the saying is "hold the fort". He implied those were the only American constructs he objects to (perhaps the only ones that mean approximately the opposite of what they say). I thought he should also have mentioned "meet with": If I go to a meeting (or appointment) with somebody, I don't meet with them - I simply meet them (for me, that's a linguistic fact, not a description of my behaviour!)

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How much you care when "you could care less"

Advanced search

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search