Off topic: How much you care when "you could care less"
Thread poster: RominaZ

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 5, 2012

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Source: The Doghouse Diaries

A little Friday Fun.

Have a great weekend!

Romina

Direct link Reply with quote

Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:21
Portuguese to English
Really funny YouTube video on this... Oct 5, 2012

Great Romina!

Reminded me of this You Tube video on the subject, which is also quite amusing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Cheers!

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:21
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, I like it Oct 5, 2012

Yes, David Mitchell, speaking (he claims, perhaps slightly tongue-in-cheek, on behalf of the Queen, explains it in a correct and amusing way on that YouTube video; perhaps more entertaining than my remark about "could care less" here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/227485-should_“native_language”_claims_be_verified-page182.html#2026808

He also said she doesn't approve of saying "hold down the fort", when the saying is "hold the fort". He implied those were the only American constructs he objects to (perhaps the only ones that mean approximately the opposite of what they say). I thought he should also have mentioned "meet with": If I go to a meeting (or appointment) with somebody, I don't meet with them - I simply meet them (for me, that's a linguistic fact, not a description of my behaviour!)

Oliver

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How much you care when "you could care less"

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search