Off topic: Failed in translation - video
Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2012

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Hi all,

I want to share with you a video featuring a short compilation of translation blunders.

You can watch the video here .

As part of the feedback received on Facebook on this video someone suggested a nice idea "I think you should translate the message from the ending to all those languages".

If you enjoy this video and you fancy the idea of translating the message at the ending into as many languages as possible, you can post below the translation + language and I'll include it in this post.

"If you want it done right the first time, hire a professional translator."

German

Wenn Sie es von Anfang an richtig haben wollen, dann beauftragen Sie eine/n professionelle/n Übersetzer/in

Dutch

Wanneer het meteen goed moet zijn, schakel dan een professionele vertaler in.

French

Si vous souhaitez faire les choses bien, faites appel à un traducteur professionnel.

Italian

Se per una volta volete fare le cose per bene, servitevi di un traduttore professionista.

Romina

Mailand
Mailand  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:30
Member (2009)
Italian to German
+ ...
Thank you for posting this! Oct 18, 2012

I had my first good laugh today while watching this - I know, you get this kind of thing all the time, all over the net, but this video was very nicely done! And one possible version of a GERMAN translation of the message could be:

Wenn Sie es von Anfang an richtig haben wollen, dann beauftragen Sie eine/n professionelle/n Übersetzer/in

to be very PC ....

PS I just loved the "Seafood and Crap" !!

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Love it! Oct 18, 2012

The background music is perfect!!

The funniest one for me is the escalator marked "heaven only". I do hope when my time comes they'll let me on that one!!

Mailand
Member (2009)
Italian to German
+ ...
That´s so true Oct 18, 2012

@ Alison - the music somehow pulls it all together (and it made me think of some tv show from my childhood, can´t remember which one)

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dutch Oct 18, 2012

Wanneer het meteen goed moet zijn, schakel dan een professionele vertaler in.

Alison Sparks (X)
French to English
+ ...
The music Oct 18, 2012

@ Mailand

I think this was used for the background to the Pink Panther cartoons. It is also from something else way back when, but I just can't put my finger on it. Will keep thinking and ask number one son who seems to remember everything he's ever heard!!.

Alison Sparks (X)
French to English
+ ...
Eureka Oct 18, 2012

Right composer, Henry Mancini. Wrong series.
In fact if was from the 'Peter Gunn' TV series and I think it was his first TV music.

Knew the old noddle would come up with it eventually;

Mailand
Member (2009)
Italian to German
+ ...
Peter Gunn?! Oct 18, 2012

Had to look it up - I don´t think it was ever aired in Germany, must have heard the theme somewhere else then (Pink Panther did ring a bell, but if it´s not the same theme ...) - I am getting old ....

Nicolas Machado
Nicolas Machado  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Translate server error Oct 18, 2012

My favorite (by far) was "Translate server error". It's both unbelievable and hilarious.

Thanks for the video.

A suggestion for the sentence in French:

Si vous souhaitez faire les choses bien, faites appel à un traducteur professionnel.

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:30
Greek to English
In memoriam
:) Oct 18, 2012

A superb compilation!

Giunia Totaro
Giunia Totaro  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
Italian Oct 19, 2012

Se per una volta volete fare le cose per bene, servitevi di un traduttore professionista.

Wonderful little video : ))

[Modifié le 2012-10-19 01:41 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Failed in translation - video

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »