Movie titles in translation (May 19, 2011)
Thread poster: RominaZ

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 19, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Today I flagged this story about how some movie titles were translated into other languages in different countries.

Here are some of the translations the films received according to the article:

* ‘Annie Hall’ became ‘Urban Neurotic’ in Germany,

*‘Dumb And Dumber’ in Spain was dubbed ‘Two Stupid People, One More Stupid’,

*Robert Downey Jr and Zach Galifianakis’ road trip flick ‘Due Date’ was retitled ‘Odd Couple, Wacky Trip, Go Together In Time For Birth’ in Thailand.

Can you add more to the list? Have you been struck by any translation a movie title received in your country/language?

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 04:21
Japanese to English
Original title - Japanese - English translation Aug 30, 2011

War of the Worlds - 宇宙戦争 - Space War

North by Northwest - 北北西に進路を取れ - Take the Route North-Northwest

Murder, She Wrote - ジェシカおばさんの事件簿 - Aunt Jessica’s Case Files

Enemy of the State - エネミー・オブ・アメリカ - Enemy of America

Dial M for Murder - ダイヤルMを廻せ!- Dial the Dial M!

Body Heat - 白いドレスの女 - Woman in the White Dress

Murder by Death - 名探偵登場 - The Great Detective's Entrance

Susan Ruusunen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:21
English to Finnish
+ ...
Movie titles in Finnish Nov 2, 2011

Uh, there is a loooo-oo-oong list of these in Finland. Here a few examples that come to mind:
The Shawshank Redemption = "Rita Hayworth - the key to escape" (Rita Hayworth - avain pakoon)

Once upon a time in America = "The great gangster war" (Suuri gangsterisota)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail = Monty Python's crazy world (Monty Pythonin hullu maailma)

Hearts in Atlantis = "The heart of the beast" (Pedon sydän)

Vertigo = "The red tear[drop]" (Punainen kyynel) !

Duck soup = "Four ridiculous neighbours" (Neljä naurettavaa naapuria)

Captain Ron = "Morons in the rig/cordage" (or something, can't think of anything as descriptive for 'moron' in English right now..) (Takkuaivot takilassa)

American Graffiti = "The swinging gang '62" (Svengijengi '62)

Arlington Road = "Flinch from your neighbour" (or 'beware of your neighbour') (Kavahda naapuriasi)

Starship Troopers = "The soldiers of the universe" (Universumin sotilaat)

Going Greek = "Wankers" (Runkkarit)

Airplane! = "Hey, we're flying" (Hei me lennetään) -- which lead to a bunch of movie names getting translated into 'hei me...' (Hey we're...) [doing this and that]'. Sigh.
like: Spinal Tap = "Hey, we're rocking" (Hei me rokataan)

Jingle All The Way = "My father is a turbo man" (Isäni on turbomies)

And Now for Something Completely Different = "The whole life is all Python" (Elämä on Pythonia)

The Amityville Horror = "For God's sake, run!" (Luojan tähden, paetkaa!)

North By Northwest = "Dangerous romance" (Vaarallinen romanssi)

----------------------------------
And then a few of the titles that have in fact been 'translated' into English, from the English original name, so the so-called Finnish name is in fact something altogether different, and still in English. I kid you not.

The Rules of Attraction = Fuck the rules!
Equilibrium = Cubic
Cypher = Brainstorm
Raising Arizona = Arizona Baby
City by the Sea = Mark of a murderer
El laberinto del Fauno = Pan's Labyrinth

There are several others that I couldn't remember right away... will continue the list sometime.

Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:21
English to French
+ ...
Jessica Fletcher in French Jan 30, 2012

Michael Grant wrote:

Murder, She Wrote - ジェシカおばさんの事件簿 - Aunt Jessica’s Case Files

In French, this series title is "Arabesques", which means "arabesques" in English.

Catherine

Andrea Russo
Italy
Local time: 21:21
English to Italian
+ ...
It often happens in Italy Feb 2, 2012

Also in Italian it can happen (and indeed there are many examples) that the title of a film is translated in a way that it becomes unrecognisable.
Some examples that come to my mind:
-How to Lose Friends and Alienate People becomes Star System-Se non ci sei non esisti (lit. If you're not there, you don't exist) in Italian; I've just read that it's Nueva York para principiantes (lit. New York for beginners) in Spanish and Un Anglais à New York (lit. An Englishman in New York);
-Knocked Up becomes Molto incinta (Very pregnant) in Italian;
-The Back-Up Plan becomes Piacere, sono un po' incinta (Nice to meet you, I'm a bit pregnant).

Some of the Italian titles are even funnier than the original ones, although I don't see why they translate them in this way. The same goes for novels.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Movie titles in translation (May 19, 2011)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search