https://www.proz.com/forum/fun_with_language/200419-%22spanish_easy_english_hard%22_a_%22muslim_fitting%22.html

Off topic: "Spanish easy, English hard": a "Muslim fitting"?
Thread poster: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 4, 2011

Sorry folks. I really have to share this with you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3irE2TSOY6M&feature=related

Please watch 4:00 to 4:50.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Consonant confusion Jun 4, 2011

Most edifying. While many Spanish speakers do not differentiate the "m" and "n" sounds (especially at the end of words) or have difficulty in doing so, and the same applies for many English speakers too, to my mind the most interesting thing in the video is the plaintiff's parapraxis and how it illustrates the widespread association/confusion of concepts (Muslim-> Egypt-> [insert figment/unsubstantiated opinion/value judgement, etc as required]...).

Deeply ingrained prejudices in th
... See more
Most edifying. While many Spanish speakers do not differentiate the "m" and "n" sounds (especially at the end of words) or have difficulty in doing so, and the same applies for many English speakers too, to my mind the most interesting thing in the video is the plaintiff's parapraxis and how it illustrates the widespread association/confusion of concepts (Muslim-> Egypt-> [insert figment/unsubstantiated opinion/value judgement, etc as required]...).

Deeply ingrained prejudices in the occidental weltanschauung can come to light in the most frivolous of scenarios, like the early demonization of arabs/muslims as synonymous with terrorism exemplified in the Libyans in back to the Future, the baddies in True Lies... or the fact that most Hollywood blockbusters feature European (accented) villains, or Russians (and by extension most Eastern Europeans) are nowadays synonymous with violent mafias...

However, I fear what initially started off as an innocent observation is digressing into political territory so had better get back to work.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hold it! :-) Jun 4, 2011

neilmac wrote:
However, I fear what initially started off as an innocent observation is digressing into political territory so had better get back to work.

"Hold the horses!" Indeed. I just thought it would be funny. No political/religious/social intentions sought here! Just for the laughs, I swear!

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
B and V sounds in Spanish Jun 4, 2011

neilmac wrote:

Most edifying. While many Spanish speakers do not differentiate the "m" and "n" sounds

They have the same problem with "b" and "v" sounds?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Jun 4, 2011

Lingua 5B wrote:
neilmac wrote:
Most edifying. While many Spanish speakers do not differentiate the "m" and "n" sounds

They have the same problem with "b" and "v" sounds?

Indeed, in the case of Spain there used to exist a distinction between "b" and "v", and it was a distinction one could train.

Today, with no official interest in such a difference, it is quite hard to tell the difference since people don't make an effort to pronounce one or the other.

Children also find it hard to spell the words correctly and have to learn them by heart, even if Spanish clearly favours a direct relation between the written word and the spoken one (as it also happens in Finnish for instance).

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
People tend to bring it into English Jun 4, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Today, with no official interest in such a difference, it is quite hard to tell the difference since people don't make an effort to pronounce one or the other.

Yes, I've heard some Spanish people pronouncing Bictoria (Victoria), base (vase) etc when talking in English. That Spanish sound is actually between B and V, not a clear B as we know it in English, it's a softer B.

People over here (English beginners) tend to use normal Vs when pronouncing Ws in English, that's very typical.

(sorry for the off-topic).

Btw, the woman in the video is so annoying lol

[Edited at 2011-06-04 11:10 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pronunciation Jun 4, 2011

Indeed. In Spain, I would not respect a teacher of English who does not manage to teach a proper pronunciation. I don't mean the Queen's accent. I mean command of M/N, B/V, long and short e's, etc.

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Jun 4, 2011

Lingua 5B wrote:

Btw, the woman in the video is so annoying lol

[Edited at 2011-06-04 11:10 GMT]

And clearly paranoid!
The best was the "Egyptian fitting"...hahahah btw she was very hard to understand!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

"Spanish easy, English hard": a "Muslim fitting"?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »