http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JmA2ClUvUY

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:23
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Hilarious - fascinating Jun 24, 2011

Thank you, Lingua 5B. Loved it. Has Steven Pinker seen it?
Jenny

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:23
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A sick parent Jun 24, 2011

Yes, the babies are so cute and funny... but my eyes were checking the oven all the time. Not the best place to have an oven in a home with babies... Yes, I must be sick!

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Minimizing risks Jun 24, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Yes, the babies are so cute and funny... but my eyes were checking the oven all the time. Not the best place to have an oven in a home with babies... Yes, I must be sick!

Even if you have an oven at higher position, they tend to climb and crawl all around. But I agree with you, parents should do everything to minimize any risk.

Rebekka Búadóttir
Rebekka Búadóttir  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Icelandic
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
They already know the rules! Jun 24, 2011

Really cute video
One very interesting thing about it is that those boys already know the basic rules of a conversation, even if they don't know any words!

- not talking both at the same time, but taking turns
- facing each other while talking
- using body language for emphasis etc.

How did they learn these things?

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some theories Jun 25, 2011

Rebekka Búadóttir wrote:

Really cute video
One very interesting thing about it is that those boys already know the basic rules of a conversation, even if they don't know any words!

- not talking both at the same time, but taking turns
- facing each other while talking
- using body language for emphasis etc.

How did they learn these things?

Well, obviously, we can disregard socializing here, they are too little. The biological factor remains and the innate language disposition ( genetic), which is the basis of innatist view.

They are also twins, so it's a bit more specific, they tend to develop specific kind of language between each other.

You may notice how the first one raises the intonation toward the end of DA DA DA sentence, almost like asking a question.

Innatists compare acquiring the language with teaching a baby to walk ( you don't quite teach them to walk, you just assist and supervise), or to dance ( babies have innate sense of rhythm and you'll see them move to music without telling them to do so).

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 10:23
French to English
+ ...
Adorable Jun 25, 2011

Some immediate reactions, I'm not saying any of these observations must have been happening, they just crossed my mind:

The one with his back towards us seems to want to communicate something to this brother and not get the reaction/understanding he expected. So he tries repeatedly. And it was really amazing when he reached down to the floor, and then reached all the way up, almost trying to construct a tree with his hands.

The one facing us seems to be experimenting mo
... See more
Some immediate reactions, I'm not saying any of these observations must have been happening, they just crossed my mind:

The one with his back towards us seems to want to communicate something to this brother and not get the reaction/understanding he expected. So he tries repeatedly. And it was really amazing when he reached down to the floor, and then reached all the way up, almost trying to construct a tree with his hands.

The one facing us seems to be experimenting more with waving his hand in front of him and the impact that has on his brother. And he has that wonderful full belly laugh.

He also seems to show an innate talent for sumo.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Funny thing with socks Jun 25, 2011

One of them is without one sock, the other has mistmatched socks lol

I also think the one with mismatched socks wants to dominate the conversation, and the other one just keeps laughing it all off.

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Huh? Jun 25, 2011

Lingua 5B wrote:

Well, obviously, we can disregard socializing here, they are too little. The biological factor remains and the innate language disposition ( genetic), which is the basis of innatist view.

Why on earth? Why should the socializing be disregarded here, they are of course old enough to learn from observation, this starts at a very early age.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Imitation Jun 25, 2011

apk12 wrote:

Why on earth? Why should the socializing be disregarded here, they are of course old enough to learn from observation, this starts at a very early age.

Imitating is the word I should have used. Of course socializing is present.

Some things can't be learned by imitating others, for instance, DA DA DA is original construction, not imitation.

Or when a child construes an original sentence they have never heard before, that's not imitation either.

If you read carefully my previous post, start from the title that says "some" theories. This is just one view, while there are many other theories and they all have some shortcomings. This board is hardly the place to list all the possible theories.

[Edited at 2011-06-25 12:52 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Twin babies having a dialogue

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »