10 things you might not know about punctuation
Thread poster: Ildiko Santana

Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:43
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...

MODERATOR
Jul 22, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.


(from the Chicago Tribune, by Mark Jacob and Stephan Benzkofer, July 18, 2011)

"There was big news on the punctuation front a few weeks ago: an unfounded rumor that the Oxford University Press was getting rid of the "serial comma." That's the final comma in a series, as used in most books but few newspapers. (The Tribune would write "blood, sweat and tears"; most books would write "blood, sweat, and tears.") If the uproar confounds you, read on:"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-perspec-0717-things-20110714,0,1242712.story


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Oscar Rivera
Hungary
Local time: 08:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
TFS! Jul 22, 2011

Thanks for sharing!!! I find this sort of articles very interesting and I like to read the Chicago Tribune too.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:43
German to English
+ ...
George Bernard Shaw Jul 22, 2011

Ildiko Weinberger wrote:

(from the Chicago Tribune, by Mark Jacob and Stephan Benzkofer, July 18, 2011)

"There was big news on the punctuation front a few weeks ago: an unfounded rumor that the Oxford University Press was getting rid of the "serial comma." That's the final comma in a series, as used in most books but few newspapers. (The Tribune would write "blood, sweat and tears"; most books would write "blood, sweat, and tears.") If the uproar confounds you, read on:"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-perspec-0717-things-20110714,0,1242712.story


Something I learned about George Bernard Shaw this week was that he was in the habit of rephrasing entire sentences to avoid hyphenation in his published works.

It is a useful trick to remember!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:43
Chinese to English
+ ...
. Jul 23, 2011

Allison Wright wrote:

Something I learned about George Bernard Shaw this week was that he was in the habit of rephrasing entire sentences to avoid hyphenation in his published works.

It is a useful trick to remember!


But if you don’t know how it will eventually be typeset in print (or if it will be published in multiple media, especially if it will be published electronically), then it will be an exercise in vain…


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:43
German to English
+ ...
GBS Jul 23, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:

Allison Wright wrote:

Something I learned about George Bernard Shaw this week was that he was in the habit of rephrasing entire sentences to avoid hyphenation in his published works.

It is a useful trick to remember!


But if you don’t know how it will eventually be typeset in print (or if it will be published in multiple media, especially if it will be published electronically), then it will be an exercise in vain…


True, but I believe he was in the habit of doing this at final mark-up stage, thus reinforcing the view that he was a "difficult" man at the best of times.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »


10 things you might not know about punctuation

Advanced search






WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search