Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How many English words do you know?
Thread poster: RominaZ
Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:59
38,700 Jul 28, 2011

(Native English speaker, other English-speaking country).

The words I cannot give any definition for, or explain to anyone:

sedulous, vibrissae
adumbrate, polymath, lothario, caitiff, epigone, oneiromancy, pabulum, tatterdamalian, cantle, estivation, clerisy, sparge, opsimath, pule, hypnopompic, williwaw and terpsichorean.

Some of course, are screaming out for "nonsense definitions" w
... See more
(Native English speaker, other English-speaking country).

The words I cannot give any definition for, or explain to anyone:

sedulous, vibrissae
adumbrate, polymath, lothario, caitiff, epigone, oneiromancy, pabulum, tatterdamalian, cantle, estivation, clerisy, sparge, opsimath, pule, hypnopompic, williwaw and terpsichorean.

Some of course, are screaming out for "nonsense definitions" which can be fun for those of us who, like Shakespeare, have "little Latin and small Greek".
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:59
French to English
+ ...
@Stanislav Jul 28, 2011

Stanislaw Czech wrote:
I wonder what would be result if to include legal terminology.

I suspect that c. 20,000 words for a second language speaker without a Romance language background is actually not bad at all.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How many English words do you know?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »