Friday Fun: sniglets
Thread poster: RominaZ

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 12, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Sniglet is a neologism, popularized by comedian/actor Rich Hall during his tenure on the 1980s HBO comedy series Not Necessarily the News. Each episode of the monthly series featured a regular segment on sniglets, which Hall described as "any word that doesn't appear in the dictionary, but should". Hall's own sniglets, along with submissions by fans, were compiled into several books, starting with Sniglets and More Sniglets. See Sniglet

Below is a selection of sniglets I like (letters A - B):

Aeroma (ayr oh' ma) - n. The odor emanating from an exercise room after an aerobics workout.

Aeropalmics (ayr o palm' iks) - n. The study of wind resistance conducted by holding a cupped hand out the car window.

Ambivilane - the striped area by an exit ramp where people often pull off when trying to decide "Is this my exit?"

Animalanche: When you kick your stuffed animals in your sleep and they fall all over you or the floor. (from Kaffit, age 9)

Aquadextrous - adj. Possessing the ability to turn the bathtub faucet on and off with your toes.

Arachnidiot (ar ak ni' di ot) - n. A person, who, having wandered into an "invisible" spider web, begins gyrating and flailing about wildly.

B+ Stampede (bee' plus stam peed) - n. The attempt by half the classroom to claim the paper with no name on it.

Baldage (bald' aj) - n. The accumulation of hair in the drain after showering.

Beavo (bee' vo) - n. A pencil with teeth marks all over it.

Bixplex (biks' pleks) - n. Psychological block in which a person cannot choose which color of disposable lighter to purchase.

Blithwapping - v. Using anything BUT a hammer to hammer a nail into the wall, such as shoes, lamp bases, doorstops, etc.

Blivett (blih' vit) - v. To turn one's pillow over and over, looking for the cool spot.

Blossor - n. The hair style one has after removing a baseball cap.

Blurfle (bler' ful) - v. To be caught talking at the top of one's lungs when the music at the bar or disco suddenly stops.

Source: Bert Christensen's Truth & Humour Collection

Have you coined your own sniglet? Suggest some words that are not in the dictionary but should.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:03
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Really great! :-) Aug 12, 2011

This reminds me of ancient but ever modern Douglas Adams' "The meaning of liff".

For those who speak Spanish, there is also the magnificent "Diccionario de Coll" by José Luis Coll.

Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
fauxcellarm, phonundrum, or pandephonium Aug 12, 2011

...the momentary confusion people experience when they hear a cell phone ringing and wonder whether it's theirs

DISCLAIMER:
I must admit that this is not my own creation

it has been taken from Word Fugitives: In Pursuit of Wanted Words by Barbara Wallraff
http://www.amazon.com/Word-Fugitives-Pursuit-Wanted-Words/dp/0060832738#_

a great read!

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:03
German to English
+ ...
circumvaculate Aug 12, 2011

Not mine, but from so long ago, I forget who said it first (Irma Bombeck?):

circumvaculate, v., intr., to stand in one spot in the middle of the carpet and vacuum clean all around you.

It works!

matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Sorry but I haven't a clue, not exactly the same but... Aug 12, 2011

And if you want a regular supply listen to BBC Radio 4's programme of the same name, they usually begin with a round of such definitions. E.g.

Propaganda: A post for one legged male geese

Wished: A card game played by people who are pisshed

Trampoline: Cleansing fluid for tramps

Coffee: Someone covered in spit

Tapioca: A disappointingly average dance routine

Tomahawk: A vegetable of prey

Etc. Some might be a bit obtuse (or contain lots of cultural references that a non Brit might not get), but the website is teeming with them, and lots of other fun stuff.

[Edited at 2011-08-12 20:28 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Friday Fun: sniglets

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search