Focus topic
Off topic: Word origins: which word is older?
Thread poster: RominaZ
Sep 22, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Have a look at these three sets of words and see if you can guess which entered the language first.

A.-

Check the answers for set "A" here

B.-

Check the answers for set "B" here

C.-

Check the answers for set "C" here

Source: Oxford Words blog

How many did you get right?

You can share your score below.

Direct link Reply with quote

Thank you Romina.. Sep 23, 2011

Very interesting... I'm a little addicted to the history of language... I made 3 mistakes..

I thought anaphrodisiac entered the language before sexy... however, there is not a huge distance between the two..

Thank you again!

Direct link Reply with quote

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Word origins: which word is older?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search