Off topic: Internet English: language reverts to type
Thread poster: RominaZ

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 12, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Here is episode 9 (Internet English) of the History of English series by the The Open University.

Some facts from this video:

1.- In 1972 the first email was sent.
2.- Soon the Internet arrived (1991)
3.- The Internet brought typing back into fashion (and hundreds of cases of repetitive strain injury (RSI))
4.- New meanings of words came into use: "Download" (1980), "Toolbar" (1991), "firewall" (1990)
5.- Conversations get shorter than the average attention span. Why bother writing a complete sentence when an abbreviation would do and leave you more time to "Blog" (1998), "poke" (2004) and "reboot" (1982) when you hardrive crashed.
6.- "In My Humble Opinion" becomes "IMHO" and "By The Way" becomes "BTW".
7.- Some changes even pass into spoken English "FYI" (For Your Information), "FAQ" (Frequently Asked Questions), "LOL" (Laugh Out Loud and Lots of Love) and "UG2BK" (You've Got to Be Kidding).

Direct link Reply with quote

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:58
Chinese to English
Remember how reading and writing were supposed to be dying out? Oct 13, 2011

I grew up in the 80s, and the crusty colonels back then loved to complain about how the youth of today never read books or wrote letters, it was all TV and telephones. Writing was dying out, they said, and literacy was going down the plughole.

Now the young people have taken their written language and reinvented it. I think it's an incredibly exciting time to be a writer. I'm still waiting for Twitter poetry though - seems like a medium that was made for the haiku. Have I missed it because I can't get twitter here in China?

Direct link Reply with quote

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Internet English: language reverts to type

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search