Off topic: Context is everything! Timely humor with "apple" and "blackberry"
Thread poster: RominaZ

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 13, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Here is the challenge -- imagine the most likely scenario for this conversation.

Customer: I'm very disappointed
Assistant: What's the problem?
Customer: My blackberry is not working

Assistant: where did you store it?
Customer: on my desk top
Assistant: well you could try using a mouse to drag the blackberry to the trash. Then you may want to launch the blackberry from the desktop.
Customer: I've already tried that a few times.

Have you pictured the scene and the characters in the story? Now watch this funny video! and see how the visual aids make the words take on a different meaning from the one you thought first.

Apart from being very funny this video has a perfect timing with all the recent news about Apple and Blackberry, right?

Can you think of other dialogue lines that could work well in two different contexts and change the words' meaning completely?

Have fun!

Direct link Reply with quote

Steve Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:51
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
prediction??? Oct 13, 2011

Was this a prediction i wonder or are blackberries really that unreliable ?

I have never had one so i wouldn't have a clue but this clip was originally screened about a year ago, so would imagine it was pretty topical then as well

the weird thing is just before i visited proz this evening I have just watched the same video

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Germany
Local time: 04:51
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
This is great! Oct 13, 2011

It makes me want to buy an X-Box. Thanks for sharing!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:51
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Brilliant! Oct 13, 2011

That was a great laugh !

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:51
English to German
+ ...
Gorgeous! Oct 14, 2011

Thanks for sharing!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Context is everything! Timely humor with "apple" and "blackberry"

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search