Off topic: Spelling matters
Thread poster: RominaZ

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 2, 2012

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.




Watch this video to see how this theory gets spoiled http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNStNUizxhE

Also see http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/Cmabrigde/


 

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
Great! Feb 2, 2012

Great, I've received this joke so many times, it's a BIG relief to have it utterly spoilt. Shattered. Run in the ground. Burned. Nuked. Destroyed. Savaged. Etc.

 

Alistair Ian Spearing Ortiz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spelling matters a lot! Feb 2, 2012

Spelling matters a lot... that's why I always double-check sentences with words like "shirt" icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2012-02-02 14:50 GMT]


 

TranslationHub  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:47
Spellings are everything Feb 2, 2012

Spelling errors can't accept in any way. That's why we always get proofread two times.

 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:17
English to German
+ ...
Good grief, Jan Willem. Feb 2, 2012

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

Great, I've received this joke so many times, it's a BIG relief to have it utterly spoilt. Shattered. Run in the ground. Burned. Nuked. Destroyed. Savaged. Etc.


I hope there is no particular reason why spelling jokes are passed on to you that frequently.

icon_smile.gif


I am fascinated by anything in regard to how our brains work, so thanks for posting, Romina!


 

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
:-) Feb 2, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

Great, I've received this joke so many times, it's a BIG relief to have it utterly spoilt. Shattered. Run in the ground. Burned. Nuked. Destroyed. Savaged. Etc.


I hope there is no particular reason why spelling jokes are passed on to you that frequently.

icon_smile.gif


I am fascinated by anything in regard to how our brains work, so thanks for posting, Romina!


As you probably understood, I was being humerous... But I did see this joke already many, many times, and for a long, long time.
And yes, this little insight in the working of the brain that the video gave, was interesting indeed!


 

Petar Zivanic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 20:17
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
humerous? really? Feb 6, 2012

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

Great, I've received this joke so many times, it's a BIG relief to have it utterly spoilt. Shattered. Run in the ground. Burned. Nuked. Destroyed. Savaged. Etc.


I hope there is no particular reason why spelling jokes are passed on to you that frequently.

icon_smile.gif


I am fascinated by anything in regard to how our brains work, so thanks for posting, Romina!


As you probably understood, I was being humerous... But I did see this joke already many, many times, and for a long, long time.
And yes, this little insight in the working of the brain that the video gave, was interesting indeed!


You must've meant "humorous", not "humerous"icon_wink.gif.


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:17
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hmmm Feb 6, 2012

Petar Zivanic wrote:

You must've meant "humorous", not "humerous"icon_wink.gif.


Yes. I hope that was a deliburat moostake.


 

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:17
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Ehiter tihs is not ture... Feb 6, 2012

... Or I hvae wsaetd a lot of my lfie crorcetnig my tpyos...

I think everyone - including myself - finds it is worth the effort when I do.

Still trying to avoid making them in the first place, but have not succeeded so far.

But thanks for the laugh!

icon_smile.gif


 

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
Great. Feb 6, 2012

Petar Zivanic wrote:

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

As you probably understood, I was being humerous... But I did see this joke already many, many times, and for a long, long time.
And yes, this little insight in the working of the brain that the video gave, was interesting indeed!


You must've meant "humorous", not "humerous"icon_wink.gif.


Great. A spelling error (well, actually a typo) in a thread about spelling. Murphy's Law at work again. OK, I'll creep away under a stone and not show my face again for 600 years, when I'll have turned to humus (and thus be humerous). Warning: don't touch the stone, it'll be red hot from the amount of shameful blushing being done underneath it.


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:17
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Muphry's Law Feb 6, 2012

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

Murphy's Law at work again.


Actually, it's known as Muphry's Law.

Muphry's law is an adage that states that "if you write anything criticising editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written".


 

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:17
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
Wrong Feb 6, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

Murphy's Law at work again.


Actually, it's known as Muphry's Law.

Muphry's law is an adage that states that "if you write anything criticising editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written".


Ha ha, you spelt Mruphy's Law incorrectly!


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:17
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No I didn't Feb 6, 2012

Olly Pekelharing wrote:
Ha ha, you spelt Mruphy's Law incorrectly!


No, I didn't. You are thinking of M U R P H Y's Law.

I was referring to M U P H R Y's Law.


 

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:17
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
good grief you're right Feb 6, 2012

what a business...

 


There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »


Spelling matters

Advanced search






BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search