Off topic: Too divine - just for fun!
Thread poster: Sian Cooper

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:23
French to English
+ ...
Jun 15, 2012

All, I'm not sure where to post this, but I came across one of those web sites where the translation is so bad it's a delight. Here is a short excerpt - it is about fall arrest safety equipment. Honest! (oh dear, I hope this doesn't infringe rules... really must read them one day!)

"Fall Arrest Safety Training: prompt and encourage your personnel to realize the necessity for safety and encourage them to want to use the required condom equipment and shuffle for sure that they use it in the right way. hoi polloi almost surely don't make to be familiar with the complete HSE lawmaking regarding guardrails and likewise other diminish safety device products however they definitely must accredit that this type of equipment is essential on Beaver State all around platforms catwalks openings surgery anywhere on that point is a declension hazard."

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxCristina Koe  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
I don´t know it it´s against the rules .... Jun 15, 2012

.... but that´s great!

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:23
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Priceless! Jun 15, 2012

Absolutely brilliant! If only we could see the source. I would really like to know more about the Beaver State. Might be worth visiting.

Cheers!
Ines

Vikki Pendleton  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:23
German to English
+ ...
Hilarious Jun 15, 2012

I've found sites like this before. I think they basically 'steal' text from another EN website and use a thesaurus to change key words (why? I guess so that they aren't infringing anything but I haven't a clue) but it results in this absolute gobbledegook.

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Safety first Jun 15, 2012

Burrell wrote:

Absolutely brilliant! If only we could see the source. I would really like to know more about the Beaver State. Might be worth visiting.

Not forgetting to take your safety condoms!!!

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not sure... Jun 15, 2012

Not sure if it's really THAT safe to be using condoms on a 300 ft high scaffolding...

Valery Shapovalenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:23
English to Russian
+ ...
"Did you get what you said, man?" Jun 15, 2012

That pops up when readin' that stuff, haha!
Thanx for posting this!

[Edited at 2012-06-15 13:15 GMT]

Valery Shapovalenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Safe sex anywhere!.. Jun 15, 2012

Even on scaffoldings... Or, especially?..

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

Not sure if it's really THAT safe to be using condoms on a 300 ft high scaffolding...

[Edited at 2012-06-15 13:19 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Makes sense to me... Jun 15, 2012

S_Cooper wrote:
"Fall Arrest Safety Training: prompt and encourage your personnel to realize the necessity for safety and encourage them to want to use the required condom equipment...

Hm... To me, this makes total sense: if you do not use your condom properly during Christmas, you could be arrested in the fall unless you pay your child support?

Stefano Papaleo  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Brilliant Jun 15, 2012

Absolutely splendid though... it makes you wonder if that is how much they care about the safety of their employees, then the latter are really much safer using condoms against free falling!

The only one who should be arrested is the genius who wrote that!

Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2010)
Greek to English
Shuffle Jun 15, 2012

Thanks for sharing that!

Not only has it made me laugh (a lot, because it's Friday evening and I've had a couple of drinks...hic) but it's also reassured me that Machine Translation isn't going to replace professional human translators in the immediate future.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:23
English to German
+ ...
Beaver State Jun 15, 2012

Burrell wrote:

Cheers!
Ines

That's the nickname of Oregon, the state where I live.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Too divine - just for fun!

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search