https://www.proz.com/forum/fun_with_language/229403-how_would_you_pronounce_this_word_what_does_it_sound_like.html

Off topic: How would you pronounce this word? what does it sound like?
Thread poster: Juan Manuel Macarlupu Peña
Juan Manuel Macarlupu Peña
Juan Manuel Macarlupu Peña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:38
English to Spanish
Jul 20, 2012

Hey Guys!
I would like to know how would you pronounce this word in English, especially if you are a native speaker of English.
The word is "UZUM". It does not exist, I made it up to name something.
I would also appreciate your telling me what it sounds like, what it suggests to you or any thoughts that this word may bring up.
Also if it means something rude or weird in any of your languages I would appreciate your telling me.
I am not telling why I need it b
... See more
Hey Guys!
I would like to know how would you pronounce this word in English, especially if you are a native speaker of English.
I would also appreciate your telling me what it sounds like, what it suggests to you or any thoughts that this word may bring up.
Also if it means something rude or weird in any of your languages I would appreciate your telling me.
I am not telling why I need it because I don't want to condition your ideas LOL.

Thanks and enjoy the weekend!!!
Collapse

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:38
Greek to English
In memoriam
Use 'em Jul 20, 2012

In UK English (influenced by other brand names) my first thought was "Use 'em" [Use them]. It could be an effective name for some products, or a disastrous one for others ['use' also has the meaning of 'exploit' or 'cheat'].

[Edited at 2012-07-20 23:03 GMT]

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 08:38
Member (2011)
English to German
This word does not exist? Jul 21, 2012

Juan Manuel Macarlupu Peña wrote:

This word does not exist? Google gives me 7,910,000 results. Strange...

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Local time: 14:38
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
To me it sounds like an indigenous words Jul 21, 2012

A word coming from ancestral tribes in Africa.

Maybe my imagination is rambling...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:38
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This question appears twice Jul 21, 2012

This question appears twice in the list, each occurrence with a slightly different title. One is under "Fun with language" and the other is under "Linguistics". I suggest you remove one of them.

[Edited at 2012-07-21 09:14 GMT]

ladytraduk
ladytraduk
Italy
Local time: 14:38
English to Italian
+ ...
Uzum in Italy Jul 21, 2012

In turkish it means grape. I'm don't know a word in turkish, but I googled "uzum" out of curiosity because Marina wrote there were 7,000,000 results... The U is written slightly different though, but it makes no difference to Google.

In Italy it would be pronounced /ootzoom/
It would be a good name for ...a Photo Zoom! an agricultural product, a sauce, a musical instrument or a weapon.
It sounds similar to the Italian word "uso" wich means "use" and to the word "zum" w
... See more
In turkish it means grape. I'm don't know a word in turkish, but I googled "uzum" out of curiosity because Marina wrote there were 7,000,000 results... The U is written slightly different though, but it makes no difference to Google.

In Italy it would be pronounced /ootzoom/
It would be a good name for ...a Photo Zoom! an agricultural product, a sauce, a musical instrument or a weapon.
It sounds similar to the Italian word "uso" wich means "use" and to the word "zum" which is used to refer to the typical sound of ...drums. zum zum zum zum zum!

Please let us know what product it is in the end....
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:38
Portuguese to English
+ ...
UZUM Jul 21, 2012

In Brazilian Portuguese, it would probably be "oo-ZOOM".
Interestingly, the word Uzum appears to be used in some languages to represent the grape family (when I opened "Images of UZUM" bunches of grapes appeared)
Unfortunately I don't speak Turkish but I found this, maybe someone could shed light on what they are saying:
"Üzüm, asmagiller (Vitaceae) familyasının Vitis cinsinden yeryüzünde kültürü yapılan en eski meyve türlerine verilen ad.
Tarihçesi M.Ö 5000
... See more
In Brazilian Portuguese, it would probably be "oo-ZOOM".
Interestingly, the word Uzum appears to be used in some languages to represent the grape family (when I opened "Images of UZUM" bunches of grapes appeared)
Unfortunately I don't speak Turkish but I found this, maybe someone could shed light on what they are saying:
"Üzüm, asmagiller (Vitaceae) familyasının Vitis cinsinden yeryüzünde kültürü yapılan en eski meyve türlerine verilen ad.
Tarihçesi M.Ö 5000 yılına kadar dayanır. Anavatanı Anadolu'yu da içine alan Küçük Asya, Kafkasya'yı da kapsayan bölgedir. Diğer meyvelerle kıyaslandığında en fazla çeşide sahip olan türlerden biri olan üzümüm 15.000'nin üzerinde üzüm çeşidi bulunduğu tahmin edilmektedir. Anavatanı Anadolu olan çeşitler 1200'ün üzerindedir. Bu çeşitlerden oluşturulmuş Milli Koleksiyon Bağı Tekirdağ Bağcılık Araştırma Enstitüsünde bulunmaktadır. Bunların 50-60 kadarının ekonomik üretimi yapılmaktadır."
The only words I recognise are "Vitaceae" and "Asya", also "kültürü" which could be "culture".
Reference: http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/��züm
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How would you pronounce this word? what does it sound like?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »