International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Off topic: Miss, use your interpreter
Thread poster: RominaZ

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 7, 2013

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

I've come across an interesting (and funny) post in Translation Times blog about the convenience of using professional language services (in this case interpreting). Instead of using the services of the interpreter who was right there on stage with her (and correctly interpreted the question), one of Miss Universe contestants waits for the question to be interpreted into Spanish, but then proceeds to answer it in broken English as follows:

Question:
"If you could make a new law, what would it be? And explain why."

The transcribed answer (courtesy of The Hollywood Reporter)

"I think that any leys [Spanish for "laws"] there are in Constitution or in life, are already made. I think that we should have, uh, a straight way to go in our similar, or, eh, in our lives as is this. For example, I'm a surfer, and I think that the best wave that I can take is the wave that I wait for it. So please do our only, eh, law that we can do. Thank you Vegas!"

You can watch the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULvRKGTFrFM

Direct link Reply with quote

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:29
Chinese to English
Such a shame Jan 7, 2013

Because I'm sure that the message of this Miss Universe contestant would have had a lot of meaning. What a tragedy that these timeless words were garbled, and are now lost for ever.

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:29
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you Vegas! Jan 7, 2013

Thank you for this gem.

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:29
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yeah what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas Jan 9, 2013

Hey, poor girl somebody told her that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas so she thought she would give it a try and go wild.

What cracked me up completely was the Spanish female interpreter voiceover, they actually make it sound more or less OK in Spanish, I mean it's still rambling but makes a lot more sense than the original, a big round of applause for the female Spanish interpreter

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Miss, use your interpreter

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search