Off topic: Still More Untranslatable Words from Around the World
Thread poster: LingoTrust

LingoTrust
Local time: 07:56
Jun 5, 2013

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

In our ongoing list of ‘untranslatable’ words from other languages, I bring you 10 more words that don’t seem to have an equivalent in other languages.

While the debate lingers on about whether these words are truly ‘untranslatable’ by definition, it is certainly clear that each language has their own set of words that either don’t exist in other languages, or at the very least, do not have a single word to reflect the exact same meaning.

So without further ado, I give you 10 more ‘untranslatable’ words from around the world:

1. Milozvučan (Croatian)

Having a sweet and gentle voice

2. Desenrascanço (Portuguese)

The art of using creative resources to solve difficult situations when lacking the proper knowledge or tools that would be used traditionally.

3. Xinteng (Chinese)

A feeling somewhere between sympathy and empathy when you see the suffering of loved ones

Read the rest at:

http://www.lackuna.com/2013/05/31/still-more-awesomely-untranslatable-words-from-around-the-world/#rWfMtc0EB0tKtIRd.99

Svetlana_Hikari
Russian to English
+ ...
милозвучный, милозвучна, mellifluous Jun 6, 2013

Croatian milozvučan has a Russian equivalent with exactly same meaning, милозвучный (milozvoochny), and also a Ukrainian equivalent, милозвучна (mylozvoochna).
Multitran gives it as mellifluous, mellifluent. I realize that the Croatian word may actually refer to a person having such a voice, whereas the Russian and Ukrainian words can be describing the voice itself, a song, or a spoken language.

Traductionist
French to English
more untranslateable Aug 31, 2013

I wonder if 2. Desenrascanço (Portuguese)

The art of using creative resources to solve difficult situations when lacking the proper knowledge or tools that would be used traditionally.

means the same thing as "descurcaret" in Romanian, it certainly has the same meaning

which is also "se debrouiller" in French

_______________-

also, it used to be said the Romanian word "dor" has no equivalent in other languages

I wonder if Hindi/Urdu "Dard" has the same root~ it does seem to have the same meaning

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Still More Untranslatable Words from Around the World

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search