https://www.proz.com/forum/fun_with_language/300551-thesis_about_greys_anatomy.html

Off topic: Thesis about Grey's anatomy
Thread poster: sofy1891
sofy1891
sofy1891
Peru
Spanish to French
+ ...
Apr 5, 2016

Welcome to the Fun with language forum! This forum is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Hello everyone !, I'm doing my undergraduate thesis called the analysis and description of the linguistic problems of translation medical in the dubbed version of English to Latin american Spanish of the serie "Grey's Anatomy" , therefore, I want to ask a fan of this series, which of all seasons it contains more linguistic problems of translation?

Grey's anatomy fans let me know any some information please!

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:48
French to English
Not sure Apr 6, 2016

Not sure if you mean dialogue that's a challenge to translate or dubbing that's a challenge to understand

Either way, you're better off finding someone who actually worked on the dubbing, because fans will just be wrapped up in the story rather than thinking about the language.

And why not watch a few episodes yourself to see what you might consider a challenge?

Neptunia
Neptunia
Local time: 07:48
Italian to English
Are you only interested in medical language? Apr 6, 2016

I'm not so familiar with the show, but I would hope the medical language would make sense since it is concrete material within a narrative context but I can imagine there might be some problems with some of the uniquely American cultural language. I am thinking of the Halloween episodes where things like trick-or-treating and Rice Krispies Treats feature. Do you really think there are certain seasons that have more medical translation mistakes than others? Maybe that isn't the best way to narrow... See more
I'm not so familiar with the show, but I would hope the medical language would make sense since it is concrete material within a narrative context but I can imagine there might be some problems with some of the uniquely American cultural language. I am thinking of the Halloween episodes where things like trick-or-treating and Rice Krispies Treats feature. Do you really think there are certain seasons that have more medical translation mistakes than others? Maybe that isn't the best way to narrow your study and you could look at recurring themes (medical or otherwise) instead.Collapse

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:48
Medical v cultural Apr 7, 2016

I'm not so familiar with the show, but I would hope the medical language would make sense since it is concrete material within a narrative context but I can imagine there might be some problems with some of the uniquely American cultural language. I am thinking of the Halloween episodes where things like trick-or-treating and Rice Krispies Treats feature. Do you really think there are certain seasons that have more medical translation mistakes than others? Maybe that isn't the best way to narrow your study and you could look at recurring themes (medical or otherwise) instead.

Knowing the series a little, I'd expect the medical side to have been easiest to translate, as Neptunia suggests: it might be obscure or complex, but there will be some suitable translation of, say, "double contrast abdominal CT scan", even if it's hard to find. Humour (or humor, being an American show!) will be more of a problem ... if (made up example, not from the actual series) there's a psychiatrist or neurosurgeon called "Dr Head" and someone comments on the name fitting the job, do you go and change the character's last name to Testa, or keep a joke in that only makes sense to English speakers?

Anyway, if I were doing this project myself, I'd probably start by watching the translated series and keeping an eye out for any linguistic anomalies: jokes that don't make sense, cultural references that don't fit properly. Maybe the medical terminology was translated on the cheap and some of the words are wrong, but "hah! They confused an MRI scanner and a CT scanner in S2E5, what morons!" doesn't make for much of a report...

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Thesis about Grey's anatomy

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »