Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 20, 2008

Between/during all of July/August this year I had a single problem: on starting up daily, my clock chose dates like 2001 rather than the day's date (what I believe is called overclocking). So each day I had to reset my computer ... and the practical problem -apart from having to reset the computer daily - is that mails in or out would have been dated for say 2001 or 2002 when they were really 2007.

In this period of 2 months I called in my computer suppliers on a number of occasion
... See more
Between/during all of July/August this year I had a single problem: on starting up daily, my clock chose dates like 2001 rather than the day's date (what I believe is called overclocking). So each day I had to reset my computer ... and the practical problem -apart from having to reset the computer daily - is that mails in or out would have been dated for say 2001 or 2002 when they were really 2007.

In this period of 2 months I called in my computer suppliers on a number of occasions and each time they failed to solve the problem ... they changed fans again and again, but nothing worked ... About 2-3 months later I got the problem solved except that'd wiped my disk (new motherboard) without warning me of the consequences (I have never had this problem before) and I lost a huge amount of music files plus my DNS user files. Leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.... I feel they could have warned me of possible consequences. I'm also annoyed by the fact that they installed programs and software without consulting me (a pirated Word 2003, as one example, or the kind of freeware that a teen might be interested in, but not necessarily a person using a computer professionally).

So 2 months of constant stress, a loss of important files, and 300 euros of a bill...

A large proportion of the bill is to do with changing the ventilators, fans, extractors, the bill also says there were problems with antiviruses in plural (I only had one, Norton, and never had probs before) , it refers to "outlets" that were "blocked up" up with "crap" (I'm a non-smoker, I live in a rural town).

I feel I could have spent my 300 euros on a new hard drive and saved myself a lot of unanticipated hassle.

I have the bills in CAT if anyone wants to see them, but without even seing them, I wonder if anyone can comment?

TIA:-)

Ailish

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-03-21 02:01]
Collapse

Satu Ilva
Satu Ilva  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:37
English to Finnish
+ ...
CMOS battery Mar 21, 2008

Off the top of my head it sounds like your CMOS battery needed changing. If it's running low, you'll lose date and time when you power down the computer for a longer time and start it later ("cold boot"), however setting the date & time and then rebooting ("warm boot") would probably keep the settings as the battery hasn't had a chance to die in the meantime.

If the battery change fails to fix the problem then the problem could be with the actual clock chip and that would be more co
... See more
Off the top of my head it sounds like your CMOS battery needed changing. If it's running low, you'll lose date and time when you power down the computer for a longer time and start it later ("cold boot"), however setting the date & time and then rebooting ("warm boot") would probably keep the settings as the battery hasn't had a chance to die in the meantime.

If the battery change fails to fix the problem then the problem could be with the actual clock chip and that would be more complicated to change.

Changing the motherboard would fix both probs as you'd have a new chip and battery.

Overclocking is something different altogether and I see no relevance to that.

Wiping your hard drive in the process of changing the motherboard, especially with no warning to you is *unforgivable* and I would be absolutely furious. A motherboard change can be a bit tricky to do if you're trying to keep the same operating system installation running but even if they had to reinstall the machine they should have made a backup of your disk or asked you first, and not just destroyed the lot without telling you. Of course you also should have your own backups of your data, as hard drives can fail at any time.

In all, the service you've used doesn't seem very professional at all and I would not touch them again.
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
Tell them to sue you ... Mar 21, 2008

... and mention that if they do, you'll feel summarily obliged to inform Mr Gates about them installing pirated software on people's computers

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem has been fixed ... but Mar 21, 2008

Satu Ilva wrote:

If the battery change fails to fix the problem then the problem could be with the actual clock chip and that would be more complicated to change.

Changing the motherboard would fix both probs as you'd have a new chip and battery.

Overclocking is something different altogether and I see no relevance to that.

It's been fixed, but my problem is paying for all these fans and ventilators that it seems weren't the problem in the end!

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
If a translator could charge like this... Mar 21, 2008

You´d be asked to deliver a translation into Spanish, but you´d hand over a translation into German, because that's what you understood. At the same time you would hack the FTP server of the client, erase all the original source documents from it, not checking before if they had any copies available. Of course you´d leave some viruses and maybe some music that you thought they'd appreciate.

At the end you'd get paid normally for your "services"

What a life...
<
... See more
You´d be asked to deliver a translation into Spanish, but you´d hand over a translation into German, because that's what you understood. At the same time you would hack the FTP server of the client, erase all the original source documents from it, not checking before if they had any copies available. Of course you´d leave some viruses and maybe some music that you thought they'd appreciate.

At the end you'd get paid normally for your "services"

What a life...

(BTW, I agree with Satu, sounds like the CMOS battery...)

[Edited at 2008-03-21 14:49]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

300 euros on repairs + 2 months of constant problems

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »