Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:52
English to French
+ ...
Mar 26, 2008

Hello everyone,

An agency has been sending me e-mails in MIME format lately, and I can't seem to find a way to view them properly in Outlook 2003. Not only the e-mails display the body text and all the formatting code as text, which makes them hard to read, but above all, I am unable to display the attachments they contain. Does anyone know a way to solve the problem?
Many thanks in advance for any help!

Annelise

Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Try UUdeview decoder Mar 26, 2008

I had a similar problem recently and had to download several free programs before I found one that worked. I'm fairly sure it was this one.

Andy

Thorson
Thorson
Danish to English
Thunderbird Mar 26, 2008

You might try opening them in Thunderbird. Do they have an eml extension?

Some mail programs give the option of forwarding e-mail in the body of a message (the standard way) or as an attachment, and it sounds like this is what that company is doing.

If you're using Outlook Express, the change to Thunderbird is painless as it automatically imports mail and accounts.

Thunderbird has a lot of advanced features and does many things faster.

[Edited at 20
... See more
You might try opening them in Thunderbird. Do they have an eml extension?

Some mail programs give the option of forwarding e-mail in the body of a message (the standard way) or as an attachment, and it sounds like this is what that company is doing.

If you're using Outlook Express, the change to Thunderbird is painless as it automatically imports mail and accounts.

Thunderbird has a lot of advanced features and does many things faster.

[Edited at 2008-03-26 13:41]
Collapse

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 26, 2008

Hello,

Thank for your answers. In fact I am using Outlook 2003, so I am not intending to change to Thunderbird.
Anyway, I visited the site for UUdeview decoder but found the instructions were quite unclear for someone like me who's not too much into coding. I finally found another freeware, Decode shell by Funduc, which you can use directly in Windows explorer by right-clicking the e-mail to convert. One advice though to those who want to use it: put the file to convert into
... See more
Hello,

Thank for your answers. In fact I am using Outlook 2003, so I am not intending to change to Thunderbird.
Anyway, I visited the site for UUdeview decoder but found the instructions were quite unclear for someone like me who's not too much into coding. I finally found another freeware, Decode shell by Funduc, which you can use directly in Windows explorer by right-clicking the e-mail to convert. One advice though to those who want to use it: put the file to convert into a separate folder so you easily find all the files resulting from the decoding (images, attachments).

Thanks again!

Annelise
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I read e-mails in MIME format?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »