oops somebody visits my profile 268 times..
Thread poster: xxxBrandis
xxxBrandis
Local time: 18:09
English to German
+ ...
Mar 28, 2008

I find it very funny. Why would anybody want to visit my profile 268 times in the last few hours. There is a visitors tab in the profile page, that shows you who had visited and from which location etc., IP look up service integrted in proz.com system. I find it great enhancement. But these statistics - 268 visits from same location in the last few hous gives me jitters. Does this happen to you too. I seldom consult that tab. May be somebody removes my postings as many times. Brandis.

[Edited at 2008-03-28 18:38]

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:09
Spanish
+ ...
A bot Mar 28, 2008

I feel like I'm going to disappoint you but it's probably a search engine bot like Google or Yahoo.

Search Engine Bots
Search engines are, for the most part, entities that rely on automated software agents called spiders, crawlers, robots and bots. These bots are the seekers of content on the Internet, and from within individual web pages. These tools are key parts in how the search engines operate.

To be able to index the Internet, the search engines need a tool that is able to visit websites; navigate the websites; discern information about the website; decide what the website is about; and add that data to its index. This tool also has to be able to follow leads, or links from one website to the next, so that it can infinitely continue to gather information, and learn about the Internet. If it does its job properly, then the search engine has a good, valuable database, or index, and will deliver relevant results to a visitors query.

more

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:09
English to Latvian
It certainly IS Mar 28, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I feel like I'm going to disappoint you but it's probably a search engine bot like Google or Yahoo.

Search Engine Bots
Search engines are, for the most part, entities that rely on automated software agents called spiders, crawlers, robots and bots. These bots are the seekers of content on the Internet, and from within individual web pages. These tools are key parts in how the search engines operate.

To be able to index the Internet, the search engines need a tool that is able to visit websites; navigate the websites; discern information about the website; decide what the website is about; and add that data to its index. This tool also has to be able to follow leads, or links from one website to the next, so that it can infinitely continue to gather information, and learn about the Internet. If it does its job properly, then the search engine has a good, valuable database, or index, and will deliver relevant results to a visitors query.

more

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:09
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Probably Google Mountain View Mar 28, 2008

You will see it if you'll click on the visitor's IP.
My profile has 576 such "visits" last month.

Yes, and these "268" probably are last month, not last few hours results. Please check how your visitors are sorted in your Profile- Visitors (at the very bottom of that page there are 2 Options).

HTH,

Uldis

Brandis wrote:
But these statistics - 268 visits from same location in the last few hous gives me jitters. Does this happen to you too.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2008-03-28 21:33]

Kornelia Longoria  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:09
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
I have such visits too Mar 28, 2008

They are from Mountain View California. 300 visits!! I also was wondering who it was and now I got my explanation..

Aline Canino  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
Chinese to French
+ ...
Same here Mar 28, 2008

It happened to me too. About 140 visits per month, from New York. I thought he was a fan!

Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
me too Mar 28, 2008

I guess I would rather have a bot than a stalker. I bet this is how I got that odd spam offering a new magic supplement through ProZ

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 14:09
SITE STAFF
It's a crawler Mar 28, 2008

I copy below our FAQ http://www.proz.com/faq/profile#1.53

53. Someone is coming to my visitors tab multiple times, should I be worried?

Those visits are coming primarily from a search engine crawler, which is what goes out and 'spiders' the internet for pages to be searchable.The visitor you had those multiple visits from is actually MSN or Google.
    So basically, no need for alarm, a machine is visiting your profile numerous times, not a human.
    If you'd like to find out some more information about this, feel free to take a look at this forum post -- http://www.proz.com/topic/58344

Regards,
Enrique

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
How disappointing.. Mar 29, 2008

Enrique wrote:

It's a crawler

I thought I had a secret admirer somewhere...

Just kiddin'

Ciao Enrique!

Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Me too Mar 29, 2008

I have been wondering about huge numbers of visits to my profile myself. I even clicked on the IP address to see who it was, but the details given are very generic. I've even gotten hits from China. Does anyone know if there is a way to find out the visitor's OWN website?

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
Doubt it ... Mar 29, 2008

Brandis wrote:

May be somebody removes my postings as many times.

... in fact, I'd go as far as to state that would be for far more cogent reasons when it happens.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

oops somebody visits my profile 268 times..

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search