James Calder
James Calder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 23, 2008

Hi everyone
I've been working on a word file this morning but forgot to save it on my hard drive. Normally I'd be able to find it in the Temporary Files folder but because I opened it from a RAR folder I can't find it anywhere. Anyone got any ideas where I might be able to find it, if at all?
Thanks
James

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:35
English to Japanese
+ ...
Try this... Sep 23, 2008

Hi James,

Oh, we sure know your pain.... been there done that.....

* Check your RAR program (WinRAR?)'s preferences to see where it stores a temp file.
or
* Search your hard drive using the date/time criteria, not with the file name, because a temp file may not carry the same filename at all. If you find something with the similar file size with the date/time range you were working on the file, copy these files somewhere, change the extention and try to o
... See more
Hi James,

Oh, we sure know your pain.... been there done that.....

* Check your RAR program (WinRAR?)'s preferences to see where it stores a temp file.
or
* Search your hard drive using the date/time criteria, not with the file name, because a temp file may not carry the same filename at all. If you find something with the similar file size with the date/time range you were working on the file, copy these files somewhere, change the extention and try to open them.

Regards,
Rie
Collapse

Daniela Koleva
Daniela Koleva  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:35
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
I would suggest this... Sep 23, 2008

If you have closed the file without saving it, I have no idea how you can retrieve it. But if you have clicked 'save' then I would suggest that you run the Windows File Search... If you remember a part of the file name or any particular combination of words, you may search for it. Be sure to tick in the Show Hidden Files option.
I'm not quite sure if this will help you if you haven't saved it at all...
Anyway, for the future I would advise you to use Google Desktop. It makes an archi
... See more
If you have closed the file without saving it, I have no idea how you can retrieve it. But if you have clicked 'save' then I would suggest that you run the Windows File Search... If you remember a part of the file name or any particular combination of words, you may search for it. Be sure to tick in the Show Hidden Files option.
I'm not quite sure if this will help you if you haven't saved it at all...
Anyway, for the future I would advise you to use Google Desktop. It makes an archive of all files and versions of files (of course you can change the preferences) and later on you can retrieve them easily.
Once I had the same problem like you. Since then I have Google Desktop and I'm very happy with it.
Collapse

James Calder
James Calder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 23, 2008

Thanks for your suggestions Rie and Daniela. I've had to do the text all over again as I couldn't find it anywhere. Apparently WinRAR files delte themselves automatically after an hour.
Won't make that mistake again.
Thanks for your help anyway
James

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
don't be so sure ... Sep 23, 2008

I hope you never have to suffer through this again, James, but just yesterday, I did it (YET AGAIN) with a file (which fortunately, being a Word file, I could track down using the suggestions that Daniela made).

Every time it happens, I swear "never again!"

but somehow, when things are crazy, and a rush file arrives, it is SO EASY to forget to save it to your hard disk.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 14:35
English to Thai
+ ...
Undelete utility Sep 24, 2008

I find undelete utility may solve your trouble.
Temporary files can be deleted if the application is closed but trace of the files is usually left on your hard disk. Many File Undelete programs can seek [and recover] these.

Soonthon L.

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:35
English to Japanese
+ ...
feel your pain.... Sep 24, 2008

James Calder wrote:

Won't make that mistake again.

James

Hi James,

Sorry to hear that. WinZip leaves the opened file in the .zip, but WinRAR "tidies up" temp files... I have done that too. Since this happens to so many people, there should be some kind of "enhancement" to these tools,

Best regards,
Rie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost Word file HELP!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »