Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 02:46
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2003

Hi everyone.

I had a major problem with Word today. At least, I thought it was Word, but it turned out to be TRADOS, or rather, the templates that generate the TRADOS toolbar.

What happened was this: I tried to open the file of the job I was working on, only to get the message: "WINWORD has caused an error in Winword.exe. Winword will now close." I restarted the computer, tried opening Word rather than the specific file, and tried renaming the Normal.dot template - all
... See more
Hi everyone.

I had a major problem with Word today. At least, I thought it was Word, but it turned out to be TRADOS, or rather, the templates that generate the TRADOS toolbar.

What happened was this: I tried to open the file of the job I was working on, only to get the message: "WINWORD has caused an error in Winword.exe. Winword will now close." I restarted the computer, tried opening Word rather than the specific file, and tried renaming the Normal.dot template - all to no avail.

Eventually, through exploring the Microsoft Support pages for Word 2000, I hit on the solution of emptying my Startup folder. Only two things were in my Startup folder - the TRADOS templates from Freelance Edition 3 and Freelance Edition 5.5. I duly moved them out of the Startup folder and into a special backup folder. Once I had done that, I had success in starting Word.

Next, I moved first one template back into the Startup folder and tried starting Word. Got the aforementioned error message. Swapped the templates over and had another go. Again, Word wouldn't start.

So, both templates had got corrupted simultaneously and I couldn't use Word with either of them.

There is good news, however. After I started Word without either TRADOS template, I discovered that I still had a TRADOS dropdown menu, and that I could actually run TRADOS normally. I just had to learn a few more keyboard shortcuts or make use of the dropdown menu. So I was able to get my job completed, albeit in a bit of a rush.

To summarise, then: I was unable to run Microsoft Word due to corrupted TRADOS template files. But once I removed the files from the Startup folder to another folder, both Word and TRADOS functioned normally.

However, I would like to know if there is any way I could at least restore one of the templates. Two are superfluous, really. But is it possible to fix one of the corrupted templates without reinstalling TRADOS itself? I don't need to reinstall TRADOS. The corrupted templates aside, it's working just fine. Or is it possible to maybe install just a template on its own?

Although the TRADOS toolbar is not absolutely critical, it is useful sometimes. Not all of the TRADOS functions have keyboard shortcuts, and in those times where I need to use one of the functions that doesn't have a shortcut, it would be a little more convenient to access it on the toolbar rather than having to resort to the drop-down menu.

While this is far from a life-or-death matter, I'd appreciate any advice you may have on fixing corrupted TRADOS templates. TIA for your assistance.

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL
(WriteWord Translations)
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:46
German to English
+ ...
Probably a silly question ... Jun 17, 2003

But can you insert the Trados toolbar! Right click on a tool bar somewhere and select Trados (or whatever it's called).

I seem to have the opposite problem - I currently have two!

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:46
German to Croatian
+ ...
One way to deal with corrupted Word templates Jun 17, 2003

Check my recipe for corrupted Word templates at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/17750

You can delete your Normal.dot files without fear - next time you start Word it will automatically generate itself.

Also see http://support.trados.com/faq.asp#476
... See more
Check my recipe for corrupted Word templates at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/17750

You can delete your Normal.dot files without fear - next time you start Word it will automatically generate itself.

Best regards,

[Edited at 2003-06-17 07:04]
Collapse

Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 02:46
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Vesna Jun 17, 2003

Vesna Zivcic wrote:

[Edited at 2003-06-17 07:04]

Thank you very much indeed for that, Vesna. Your solution worked! I now have the TRADOS toolbar back in Word, which is opening as normal. Not only that, but I now have just one TRADOS toolbar instead of three - much better!

Thank you once again for your prompt and able assistance.

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL
WriteWord Translations

[Edited at 2003-06-17 08:46]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corrupted TRADOS Templates Prevent Word From Starting

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »