Word - the SPECIAL options in FIND & REPLACE
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2003

I wonder if anybody could tell me where I will find an explanation of all the SPECIALS listed in the Word find & replace function, such as:

tab character, optional hyphen, etc, etc, etc.

I need to know what ALL of these terms mean. There are about 25 in total.

Thanks in advance:-)

Ailish

Direct link Reply with quote

Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
Try searching for this in Word Help: Jun 17, 2003

Hi Ailish,

in my Word Help I found a section called "Type codes for items you want to find and replace" and it does seem to list most of the items in question, along with hyperlinks to other useful features such as wildcards.

Hope your version has the same!

All the best, Deborah

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:08
English to French
Word pages for translators Jun 18, 2003

Ailish Maher wrote:

I wonder if anybody could tell me where I will find an explanation of all the SPECIALS listed in the Word find & replace function, such as:

tab character, optional hyphen, etc, etc, etc.

I need to know what ALL of these terms mean. There are about 25 in total.

Thanks in advance:-)

Ailish

Hi, I just created some tutorial pages for word a few days ago, including stuff on Find and replace. You may want to take a look at that:

www.your-translations.com
(Links to the word pages are on the bottom left)

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Sylvain

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:08
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Find and replace them by yourself... Jun 18, 2003

Ailish

I think the best way to know what they mean is to try all of them by yourself.

Take any simple file (that also includes a picture, a graph, etc.) and use the replace function. I recommend you to enable the option ¶ so you'll see the changes better.

Let's say:
1) replace ^p
with the word AILISH
and see what happens...

(the paragraphs have disappeared)

UNDO...

2) replace ^t
with the word AILISH
and see what happens...

If nothing changes using the search and replace function reversing the simbol. Write, let's say, AILISH in somewere of the file and replace it by ^f

Regards,

Clarisa

English to French
Disagree Jun 18, 2003

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Ailish

I think the best way to know what they mean is to try all of them by yourself.

Sorry, but that's very far from the best way. You first should know what they are meant for, then try to see how each is performing, and with what limitations.

A detailled description is in Word's help file itself (F1, tab index, type in "find and replace")

Then you can try. But it's not just a matter how knowing the functions, but also a matter of learning how to combine them to define exactly what you search and what to replace it with.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 18, 2003

All your suggestions were useful, but i have followed your leads and downloaded a few pages from the WWW. I had tried the Word help function, but as far as I can see, it doesn't actually explian what all those symbols and words mean, just presupposes that you know.

Tanks again!

Ailish:-)

English to French
All right. Here we go. Jun 19, 2003

Ailish Maher wrote:

All your suggestions were useful, but i have followed your leads and downloaded a few pages from the WWW. I had tried the Word help function, but as far as I can see, it doesn't actually explian what all those symbols and words mean, just presupposes that you know.

Tanks again!

Ailish:-)

The characters in "special" are special characters you can search for. (Yeah, right) Word uses a number of characters to display a document. These characters, for the most part, are invisible by default, but are nevertheless there and you can search them:

Paragraph mark. (if you display them, it looks like a P, the wrong way around, and separate one paragraph from the next)

Tab character (Displayed, it's a little arrow to the right)

Any character (? If you search for that, any character will be accepted. Search for f?nd will return "find", "fond" or even f2nd)

Any digit (Same as above, except that it must be a digit)

Any letter (self explanatory)

Caret character (^^ finds carets)

Column break (self explanatory)

Em dash (a large dash)

En dash (a small dash)

End note mark (Notes at the end of a document)

Field (an object in word which store a specific type of data, such as an url, a date,...)

Footnote mark (note at the end of the page)

Graphic (self explanatory)

Manual line break (Ctrl+Enter, break the line inside of a paragraph)

Manual page break (force word to start on a new page)

Non breaking hyphen (Hyphen where the two items linked remain together and are considered as a word. A normal hyphen can be used to cut a word at the end of a line. Non breaking hyphens prevent that)

Non breaking space (see above. Word separated by a non-breaking space will be considered together.)

Optional hyphen (an hyphen that is used to cut a word at the end of a line, but only if needed. If not needed, it will not show.)

Section break (see page break)

White space (self explanatory)

Now, those are the options that should be in "special" when the option case "wildcard" is not checked.

What is it exactly that you do not understand? If that post does not answer your question, please give examples of what you want to do and what happens when you try.

Cheers
Sylvain
www.your-translations.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word - the SPECIAL options in FIND & REPLACE

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search