Silke Blumbach
Silke Blumbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:35
English to German
+ ...
Nov 16, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I have to translate until tomorrow 2 AutoCAD files with 300 words.
Anyway, the program is so complex and confusing that I haven't find out by now how to work on the text, i.e. how to find and activate a text mode and how to overwrite the text!
I haven't found anything so far on the internet which is for very beginners of AutoCAD, and the help file just added to my confusion.
So please, could anybody give me a step-by-step explanation for an absolut
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have to translate until tomorrow 2 AutoCAD files with 300 words.
Anyway, the program is so complex and confusing that I haven't find out by now how to work on the text, i.e. how to find and activate a text mode and how to overwrite the text!
I haven't found anything so far on the internet which is for very beginners of AutoCAD, and the help file just added to my confusion.
So please, could anybody give me a step-by-step explanation for an absolute beginner of AutoCAD about how to overwrite text?

Thank you very much in advance,

Silke
Collapse

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:35
English to Russian
+ ...
A brief tutorial Nov 16, 2008

http://www.autocadcentral.com/Tutorials/Lesson%208/lesson8.htm

What AutoCAD version do you use?

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
More familiar with Illustrator? Nov 16, 2008

You can import AutoCAD files into Illustrator and export them back into the original format.

Silke Blumbach
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No solution so far Nov 16, 2008

Dear Boris,

I guess the commands is what you type into the field at the bottom of the screen.
However, there is no text to be added, the text is already there!
How can I get into the text to overwrite it?
The problem is that on the one hand I cannot fix the image, once it was out of the sreen and it was hard to get it back. Then I cannot find a possibility, be it by clicking, be it by searching the menu, to get a hold of the text and to mark words or place the curs
... See more
Dear Boris,

I guess the commands is what you type into the field at the bottom of the screen.
However, there is no text to be added, the text is already there!
How can I get into the text to overwrite it?
The problem is that on the one hand I cannot fix the image, once it was out of the sreen and it was hard to get it back. Then I cannot find a possibility, be it by clicking, be it by searching the menu, to get a hold of the text and to mark words or place the cursor in order to write some words and to delete others or to to both at the same time ...

Dear Riens,

unfortunately I don't have Illustrator.
I have downloaded a tool to export AutoCAD text into a .txt file, but it exported only a fraction of the entire text. It said to export all layers, I chose from the meny the option to mark everything, then I marked it all manually by shrinking the image and putting a blue rectangle over it with my mouse, but to no avail. If I knew that issue with the several layers, I could perhaps use this tool.
Anyway it would be easier to find a way just to overwrite it.
My version is AutoCAD Architecture 2009 Student version.

Silke
Collapse

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Remote diagnosis... Nov 16, 2008

There are numerous ways to create text in Autocad. You should be able to select text with the mouse and edit it. If not, well, it might be a block of text (and other objects) - one might need to "explode" this to make it editable. The real thing might be even more complex.

My Autocad installation is at my office, which I won't visit for a week at least. But I could have a look at the file with a viewer at least (email address in profile).

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Have you tried Nov 16, 2008

to select the text and then select the command Modify > Properties in the main menu? This makes the Modify properties window appear. In this window you can edit the text. Have a go!

Regards
Gianni

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Have you tried this? Nov 16, 2008

I am not too familiar with this either, but maybe this helps:

http://www.translationtospanish.com/cad/documentation.htm

Silke Blumbach
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to edit the text? Nov 16, 2008

Dear Gianni,

I did so, but now all kind of things are popping up.
When I try to mark a part of the text or to click on it, the text becomes kind of fuzzy, or a green rectangle appears at the edge of my mouse, but I cannot edit the text.
So after activiting the Modify Properties window, what are the concrete steps I have to do?

Dear Wolfgang,

I have used a text extracting software and it just extracted a part. As I am under time pressure, I just
... See more
Dear Gianni,

I did so, but now all kind of things are popping up.
When I try to mark a part of the text or to click on it, the text becomes kind of fuzzy, or a green rectangle appears at the edge of my mouse, but I cannot edit the text.
So after activiting the Modify Properties window, what are the concrete steps I have to do?

Dear Wolfgang,

I have used a text extracting software and it just extracted a part. As I am under time pressure, I just cannot allow myself to lose another twenty minutes by trying out this software.

Silke
Collapse

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Simple method Nov 16, 2008

Years ago I was in a similar situation. Without knowing anything about Autocad, I worked out a very simple method to translate the text in Autocad. I have not used it since then. Here is what I wrote to make myself remember „how to”, just in case:

Modify/Text – click on the text (word, sentence) - a box with the text to be modified appears – translation into target language – deletion of the source language – enter. Source language text is replaced by the target language
... See more
Years ago I was in a similar situation. Without knowing anything about Autocad, I worked out a very simple method to translate the text in Autocad. I have not used it since then. Here is what I wrote to make myself remember „how to”, just in case:

Modify/Text – click on the text (word, sentence) - a box with the text to be modified appears – translation into target language – deletion of the source language – enter. Source language text is replaced by the target language version, and appears at the same place.

Hope this works.

On my paper there is another more sophisticated method (with Trados), but I cannot remember that it worked or not.
Collapse

Silke Blumbach
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to István Nov 16, 2008

In my case there is no option "Text" when I go to "Modify" in the menu!!!! If not, I would of course have tried it out many hours ago.
Besides, when I click on the text, it becomes misty and a box with "Block Definition" pops up.
Now I have tried another view and almost all my menu options have disappeared. It is hopeless.
Sziszi

[Bearbeitet am 2008-11-16 12:30 GMT]

Silke Blumbach
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where can I download a normal AutoCAD demo? Nov 16, 2008

As it seems, the Architecture version I downloaded is not appropriate.
I downloaded it because I couldn't find any free demo of the "normal" AutoCAD. But I found the student page and registered, because I have a university mail address as a guest student. There was no "normal" AutoCAD either, but quite a range of special applications. I sent the list to my customer, a translation agency, and he advised me to use the Architecture version.
But it seems that it is too odd, because there
... See more
As it seems, the Architecture version I downloaded is not appropriate.
I downloaded it because I couldn't find any free demo of the "normal" AutoCAD. But I found the student page and registered, because I have a university mail address as a guest student. There was no "normal" AutoCAD either, but quite a range of special applications. I sent the list to my customer, a translation agency, and he advised me to use the Architecture version.
But it seems that it is too odd, because there is no ordinary, immediately accessible function for text modification...
So I guess the only possibility I have is deinstalling this version and spending some other couples of hours by downloading and installing the simple version.
So please, can you give me a link where to find a test version?

Silke
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
In a fully working version of AutoCAD Nov 16, 2008

You first select the word

Then you select the Modify command from the main menu

Then, in the following window, use the Contents field to input the text you wish (highlig
... See more
You first select the word

Then you select the Modify command from the main menu

Then, in the following window, use the Contents field to input the text you wish (highlighted). In this case you will need to substitute the source with the target word.

If you don't get that window (or similar) maybe it's time to ask your client/agency for clues. HTH

Best
Gianni

[Edited at 2008-11-16 13:31 GMT]
Collapse

Karen Sughyan
Karen Sughyan  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 04:35
English to Armenian
+ ...
Find and replace Nov 16, 2008

Normally, I double click on the source text after which it becomes available for editing or translating. If it does not work, there is a longer way but it does not require to open the source text for modifying. As you have a small text to translate, you can go to Edit > Find, enter the source text in the box "Find text string:" and translation in the box "Replace with:", and then click on "Replace" or "Replace all". The latter option is useful, espacially if you have repeated texts in the same f... See more
Normally, I double click on the source text after which it becomes available for editing or translating. If it does not work, there is a longer way but it does not require to open the source text for modifying. As you have a small text to translate, you can go to Edit > Find, enter the source text in the box "Find text string:" and translation in the box "Replace with:", and then click on "Replace" or "Replace all". The latter option is useful, espacially if you have repeated texts in the same file or several files. In this case, you can work with multiple files simultaneously.

Best wishes,
Karen

[Edited at 2008-11-16 17:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2008-11-16 18:05 GMT]
Collapse

Silke Blumbach
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Find and Replace Nov 16, 2008

YES! YES! YES! That's it! This one is working!!!
Thank you so much, Karen, and greetings to Hayastan!!!
Silke

Karen Sughyan
Karen Sughyan  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 04:35
English to Armenian
+ ...
Explode! Nov 17, 2008

Thank you for your greetings, Silke. With regard to István’s suggestion, you do have a “Text” option. Go to Modify > Object > Text > Edit, click on the source text and enter your translation. One more hint: in some cases, texts are combined with surrounding lines. In these cases you can use “explode” tool (the right bottom icon in the toolbar as you see in the above screenshot). The text will become available for editing.

Best of best wishes,
Karen

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT: How to translate text with AutoCAD

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »