Is it possible to have wordcount of MS Access files with PractiCount?
Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:12
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 18, 2003

With PractiCount you are able to have wordcounts for various file formats such as PowerPoint, Word, Excel etc. But no access format is available. Is there any higher version?

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:42
English to German
+ ...
Take a detour via RTF Jul 18, 2003

If I wanted to use Practicount I would export the Access tables in RTF format to analyse them like Word files. (Not into Excel format, because Access-Memo fields may contain more than an Excel field can take.)

But usually I analyse and translate Access files using Déjà Vu. It seems to be made exactly for this task.

[Edited at 2003-07-18 08:59]

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:12
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks Harry but the remedy is not possible Jul 18, 2003

The client has sent an older version of MS Access and it is possible to export to Excel only. This is actually a PDF catalogue converted to Access form, with the Texte table containing strings, Quellsprache, Zielsprache, primkey numbers as well as a column of title "to do". 0 indicates the translation already done while 1 indicates the strings yet to be translated. I used to copy paste the to do column and the Zielsprache column into Word, eliminate the 0 items and then counting the remaining en... See more
The client has sent an older version of MS Access and it is possible to export to Excel only. This is actually a PDF catalogue converted to Access form, with the Texte table containing strings, Quellsprache, Zielsprache, primkey numbers as well as a column of title "to do". 0 indicates the translation already done while 1 indicates the strings yet to be translated. I used to copy paste the to do column and the Zielsprache column into Word, eliminate the 0 items and then counting the remaining entries in the Zielsprache column. Quite roundabout way indeed. Now that there is PractiCount, I thought the problem was simplified. But it is not to be. My friend came up with the idea of using the filter provided in the Texte table to weed out the zeroes and directly counting the remauning 1's.
Anyhow, thanks for your suggestion. I guess I may have to go in for Excel if I want to use PractiCount but then here too I am supposed to count the Zielsprache column only. In that case I have to go by the abovedescribed roundabout manner only.

Harry_B wrote:

If I wanted to use Practicount I would export the Access tables in RTF format to analyse them like Word files. (Not into Excel format, because Access-Memo fields may contain more than an Excel field can take.)

But usually I analyse and translate Access files using Déjà Vu. It seems to be made exactly for this task.

[Edited at 2003-07-18 08:59]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to have wordcount of MS Access files with PractiCount?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »