Possible virus in Outlook Express?
Thread poster: Jana Teteris

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:43
Latvian to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2003

Today I've received around 20 e-mail messages from unknown sources, all containing 'please see attached file for details' in the body of the text. The messages have no attachments - and even if they had, I certainly wouldn't open them!

I've deleted each of these messages as they appear, have re-booted the computer, run a virus scan - but the problem doesn't go away.

Any suggestions as to how I can put a stop to this?

BTW I use Windows 98 & an older version of Outlook Express (5 - I think!), which has functioned perfectly well up until today, therefore I haven't found the need to update to the most recent version.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:43
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
See BBC news site Aug 20, 2003

There is nothing to worry about if you do not open the attachments. See the interesting article on the the BBC news site:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3164861.stm


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Nina1975  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 04:43
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Virus Aug 20, 2003

that is the sobig virus.It has been in the media lately.Do not open the attatchment!
Jana Teteris wrote:

Today I've received around 20 e-mail messages from unknown sources, all containing 'please see attached file for details' in the body of the text. The messages have no attachments - and even if they had, I certainly wouldn't open them!

I've deleted each of these messages as they appear, have re-booted the computer, run a virus scan - but the problem doesn't go away.

Any suggestions as to how I can put a stop to this?

BTW I use Windows 98 & an older version of Outlook Express (5 - I think!), which has functioned perfectly well up until today, therefore I haven't found the need to update to the most recent version.


[Edited at 2003-08-20 10:51]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ángel Espinosa
Spain
Member (2005)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Tools Aug 20, 2003

Tools > Rules > New > ...

So you can block a specific source as well as messages wich contain a specific word or words (for exemple 'please see attached file for details').

Angel.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 05:43
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
It's I-Worm.Sobig.f Aug 20, 2003

It started spreading yesterday and by now already has beaten all the records.
The Subj. can be any of the following:
Re: That movie
Re: Wicked screensaver
Re: Your application
Re: Approved
Re: Re: My details
Re: Details
Your details
Thank you!
Re: Thank you!

The message can contain:
See the attached file for details
Please see the attached file for details.

And the attachment can be any of the following:
movie0045.pif
wicked_scr.scr
application.pif
document_9446.pif
details.pif
your_details.pif
thank_you.pif
document_all.pif
your_document.pif

Virus activates only if you yourself open the attachment, NO OTHER WAY.

Take care,
Uldis


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:43
Flemish to English
+ ...
Sobig-question with regard to ISP Aug 20, 2003

My ISP allows me to check my email when it is still on their servers. You simply log in to your webmail and check what has come in. What is not familiar to you (junkmail, email-attachments with .pif, scr(ipt) and other extensions (mostly virusses) can be deleted on-line and does not arrive in your mailbox.
Are there any other ISPs, who offer the same possibility. I am particularly interested in ISPs in Switzerland and the U.K.

[Edited at 2003-08-20 11:25]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:43
Latvian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Symantec removal tool Aug 20, 2003

Thankyou for identifying this virus!

Symantec offers a downloadable removal tool, which I've run and luckily my computer wasn't infected:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.a@mm.html


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Helen Johnson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:43
Member (2003)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes, there is a virus lurking somewhere. I received a text message warning me about it. Aug 20, 2003

lisse wrote:

There is nothing to worry about if you do not open the attachments. See the interesting article on the the BBC news site:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3164861.stm



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:43
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Norton nailed them Aug 20, 2003

I got two such messages this morning. Norton caught them both as they tried to sneak in, thus making up for its behavior last week when it didn't snag Blaster.

Things are getting exciting, one virus scare a week. Will this be going on for long?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:43
Member
Catalan to English
+ ...
mail2web.com Aug 20, 2003

Williamson wrote:

My ISP allows me to check my email when it is still on their servers. You simply log in to your webmail and check what has come in. What is not familiar to you (junkmail, email-attachments with .pif, scr(ipt) and other extensions (mostly virusses) can be deleted on-line and does not arrive in your mailbox.
Are there any other ISPs, who offer the same possibility. I am particularly interested in ISPs in Switzerland and the U.K.

[Edited at 2003-08-20 11:25]


I don't know about ISPs, but I presume if you check your mail at http://www.mail2web.com that would be another way of avoiding the virus entering your mailbox. You can eliminate things online using mail2web, so I suppose it would work.

Sheila


Direct link Reply with quote
 

invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 05:43
English to Bulgarian
I suggest you upgrade your Outlook Aug 20, 2003

Jana Teteris wrote:

The messages have no attachments - and even if they had, I certainly wouldn't open them!



This does not guarantee your safety. There are viruses that get activated as soon as their content appears in the Outlook preview pane, even if you haven't clicked on the attached file to open or execute it.

I recently upgraded from IE/OE 5.0 to 6.0. OE 6.0 has an option that allows you to block the abovementioned hazard, unless you explicitly allow the e-mail file(s) to be saved on your computer and executed.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible virus in Outlook Express?

Advanced search






CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search