Retrieving Outlook data
Thread poster: Anneken

Anneken
Local time: 20:32
French to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 21, 2003

Dear all,

Over the last few weeks I have had lots of trouble with my Outlook, which on occassions completely refused service. This afternoon this happened anew but only this time this did not seem to be of a temporary nature. I have tried repairing Outlook, I have scanned for virusses, I have defragmented the entire computer, only to find that all my e-mail messages AND my address book had dissappeared. My e-mail started functioning anew, but now I had lost all data. I have been able to retrieve some old data through c:\windows\application data\microsoft\outlook, but I seem to have lost about 2 years of messages and (even worse...) addresses. Does anyone have any idea where the system stores all recent messages and recent changes into outlook such as the adressbook and the agenda?
Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Anneken

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
.pst files Aug 21, 2003

Hi Anneken,
It depends on which version of Outlook you're using (also, can you confirm that you're using MS Outlook as opposed to MS Outlook Express?).

I use Outlook 98, which stores all information in a file called outlook.pst. Try searching for .pst.

Alternatively, try going back to your backup data and search for the most recently changed files.

HTH - Ralf

Anneken
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Outlook 2000 Aug 21, 2003

Thank you Ralf.
Indeed, I have been able to retrieve three .pst files: archive.pst, backup.pst and mailbox.pst, but when I imported them they contained old data and the address book and the agenda were missing It did however provide me with a list of contacts, but that was about 2 years old as well and it was not imported in the address book but in a separate folder, named contacts - since I work with the dutch version I have no idea what this is called in the English version)

I'm slowly turning gray...
)

Anneken

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try Dutch user forums Aug 22, 2003

Dutch computer magazines will have discussion forums, where someone will know your problem.

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Locate the correct pst Aug 22, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Anneken,
I use Outlook 98, which stores all information in a file called outlook.pst. Try searching for .pst.

HTH - Ralf

I tried once to search for the .pst files, but I did not find the most updated one. I do not know why. After some checking I found that the pst-file to look for is "hidden" here:
Documents and Settings/YOUR USER NAME/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook

Normally the name of the file is "outlook pst".

Make sure that you have turned on "show hidden files" for your OS just in case you cannot find the file.

This discovery has made backup of outlook data easy...:)

Hopefully you can find your data.

To open the file from Outlook:
Right click on the "Outlook Today", and choose "open personal folders file"

[Edited at 2003-08-22 19:05]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Retrieving Outlook data

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search