Thread poster: Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Local time: 17:08
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm beginning to wonder... May 14, 2009

..whether it is a hardware problem - my laptop seems to have a mind of its own - by that I mean *certain* DVDs it plays without any problem - but then some (I have yet another I tried yesterday to add to the list) are not even recognised by the CD/DVD drive. The laptop is very new too (I bought it in Feb!)

I've downloaded the vista codecs and had no luck - am I doing something wrong? Any tips? I've also tried the ffdvdshow as well - but same thing - it doesn't recognise the DVD. I'
... See more
..whether it is a hardware problem - my laptop seems to have a mind of its own - by that I mean *certain* DVDs it plays without any problem - but then some (I have yet another I tried yesterday to add to the list) are not even recognised by the CD/DVD drive. The laptop is very new too (I bought it in Feb!)

I've downloaded the vista codecs and had no luck - am I doing something wrong? Any tips? I've also tried the ffdvdshow as well - but same thing - it doesn't recognise the DVD. I'm going to check out the Codec guide now.

As for the regions - I remember setting the region player on my laptop - I think most DVDs here are region 4. Surely, though, the computer would actually recognise the dvd, even if it couldn't read it? Maybe not... I should add this laptop was bought in the UK (and I'm currently in Rio).

And yes, I really am beginning to hate Vista!!!

Thanks everyone
Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:08
Japanese to English
Is the DVD actually visible to the PC? May 14, 2009

Does your PC actually show you the disk and present you with a menu when you right click on it? If you can't even do that, it's most likely a hardware problem. If you can actually access the data on the DVD, you could try different software. The Microsoft standard player has its limitations.

For viewing movies from other regions or with odd codecs, the small video utilities Media Player Classic and VLC media player have proven very useful. I've been able to watch a home DVD that my
... See more
Does your PC actually show you the disk and present you with a menu when you right click on it? If you can't even do that, it's most likely a hardware problem. If you can actually access the data on the DVD, you could try different software. The Microsoft standard player has its limitations.

For viewing movies from other regions or with odd codecs, the small video utilities Media Player Classic and VLC media player have proven very useful. I've been able to watch a home DVD that my sister in the UK sent me by identifying and downloading the right codecs after attempting to open them in these players. I finally had to copy the data off the disk (using the drive on my other PC linked by network!), attempt to open it on one of my alternative software options, identify and download the right codec, and then enjoy my sister's video work. If you set Media Player Classic as your default player, you won't get bombarded by MS advertising when you want to look at your own stuff.
Collapse

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Some DVDS are not even visible to the laptop... May 14, 2009

This is the thing - there seems to be no real logic to it. Some DVDs play ok - for example a BBC documentary the other day (bought here in BR) whereas some are not even visible to the PC - I just hear the laptop trying its best to read and recognise the DVD, but 9/10 failing miserably...

[Edited at 2009-05-14 12:50 GMT]

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 14, 2009

Thanks tectranslate - only saw your post now. It must be the copyright as I checked the regions yesterday when I went to rent another DVD. Copyright issues would then explain why some DVDs play and some don't. And generally.. it's the newly released DVDs that are causing the problem.

Sadly I don't have a DVD player nor TV ... so until I buy both of these, it looks like I may have to grin and bare it!

P.S I'd much rather it were this than a problem with the laptop hardwa
... See more
Thanks tectranslate - only saw your post now. It must be the copyright as I checked the regions yesterday when I went to rent another DVD. Copyright issues would then explain why some DVDs play and some don't. And generally.. it's the newly released DVDs that are causing the problem.

Sadly I don't have a DVD player nor TV ... so until I buy both of these, it looks like I may have to grin and bare it!

P.S I'd much rather it were this than a problem with the laptop hardware!!!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Playing DVDs on computer with Windows Vista

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »