Thread poster: cotasur
cotasur
cotasur
Chile
Local time: 23:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 3, 2003

I have been given a document stored in Adobe Acrobat. I'm able to read it, but can´t make any changes to it, and I need to translate the headings of some pages with pictures, as well as text. Do I need to have some special software other than the Acrobat Reader downloaded from internet? I appreciate any input.

Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 04:30
English to Danish
+ ...
You need the full edition of Acrobat Sep 3, 2003

It is only possible to read pdf documents i Acrobat Reader to edit it you need the full edition of Acrobat. This version will allow you to add comments etc.
cotasur wrote:

I have been given a document stored in Adobe Acrobat. I'm able to read it, but can´t make any changes to it, and I need to translate the headings of some pages with pictures, as well as text. Do I need to have some special software other than the Acrobat Reader downloaded from internet? I appreciate any input.

Aisha Rishi
Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 08:30
English to Urdu
+ ...
Acrobat Reader only Reads the files Sep 3, 2003

cotasur wrote:

I have been given a document stored in Adobe Acrobat. I\'m able to read it, but can´t make any changes to it, and I need to translate the headings of some pages with pictures, as well as text. Do I need to have some special software other than the Acrobat Reader downloaded from internet? I appreciate any input.

Adobe Acrobat reader is only used to read the acrobat files. TO edit them you will need to do in some other program like Word, Excel etc and then convert it to pdf from there. You can also edit the file in Adobe Acrobat. But mainly the files are compiled in some other program whatever the case maybe and then converted to pdf either from those programs directly or with the help of other graphics programs.

Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Ireland
English to Danish
+ ...
Links Sep 3, 2003

See this proz topic for more links to downloading the full edition http://www.proz.com/topic/13787

Anne Seerup wrote:

It is only possible to read pdf documents i Acrobat Reader to edit it you need the full edition of Acrobat. This version will allow you to add comments etc.
cotasur wrote:

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:30
Polish to English
+ ...
working with PDF files Sep 4, 2003

azure_8 wrote:

Adobe Acrobat reader is only used to read the acrobat files. TO edit them you will need to do in some other program like Word, Excel etc and then convert it to pdf from there. You can also edit the file in Adobe Acrobat.

Part of this is not true. You cannot edit PDF files in Word, and the asker is not asking for conversion _into_ PDF.

1. Contact the client and ask for an editable file (Word, Excel, Corel, whatever) Maybe they have it - problem solved.

2. If the PDF file is not protected, you can mark the text with your mouse and copy it into Word. The problem is that you may lose all formatting and you cannot (as far as I know) copy graphics. (This also applies in the case where the PDF file is made from a scan of a page, not from a document)

3. Editing a PDF file in Adobe Acrobat is not quite like working in a word processor. It is, of course, nice to have, but you should maybe try it before you run out and spend several hundred dollars on software you may never (or rarely) need.

Just my three (euro)cents

Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2003-09-04 10:52]

Ruth Rosenthal (X)
Ruth Rosenthal (X)
Israel
Local time: 06:30
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sometimes scanned Sep 4, 2003

Sometimes you receive a fax scanned into an Adobe Acrobat document. In that case you can only print it and use it as if you had received it as a regular fax.
You cannot even highlight, copy and paste it into a Word document.
It is just used as a convenient way to email a fax.

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
You can cut and paste Sep 4, 2003

To comment on:
"You cannot even highlight, copy and paste it into a Word document."

I found that it IS possible to select All (under Edit), copy and paste the contents of an Adobe document in Word. It is impossible to select text, so you have to copy the whole lot and then delete what you don't want. I just double-checked to make sure it works, and it does.

[Edited at 2003-09-04 09:52]

Ruth Rosenthal (X)
Ruth Rosenthal (X)
Israel
English to Dutch
+ ...
Only if not scanned Sep 4, 2003

Anne Lee wrote:

To comment on:

I found that it IS possible to select All (under Edit), copy and paste the contents of an Adobe document in Word. It is impossible to select text, so you have to copy the whole lot and then delete what you don't want. I just double-checked to make sure it works, and it does.

You can only do that if the text is not scanned. It it is a scanned text, it just doesn't work at all.

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Just download Acrobat Distiller. Sep 4, 2003

Acrobat Distiller will allow you to edit and play around with whatever text stored in Acrobat Reader format.

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
It depends Sep 4, 2003

Anne Lee wrote:

To comment on:

It depends on the author of the PDF-file. If he denies access rights, you can't copy anything, not even the entire page or text. If he allows and the relevant answers are tickmarked, you can copy text and pictures.

[Edited at 2003-09-04 11:23]

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Fair enough Sep 4, 2003

Yup, true: it doesn't seem to work for all texts. Oh well.

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Word Sep 4, 2003

cotasur wrote:

Reading the comments of others, the question is do you want to spend a lot of money for a big program you would use very rarelly?

I would put my translation in a word document, with reference to the page number and paragraph and send everything back to the client who will then bother to put them in the PDF document. And next time you said you do not want translate PDF document, they have to give it in word. I am sure they have a word doc somewhere, but it is easier and cheaper to let you do the job for the price of translating word.

Aisha Rishi
Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 08:30
English to Urdu
+ ...
sorry my mistake Sep 4, 2003

PAS wrote:

azure_8 wrote:

Adobe Acrobat reader is only used to read the acrobat files. TO edit them you will need to do in some other program like Word, Excel etc and then convert it to pdf from there. You can also edit the file in Adobe Acrobat.

Part of this is not true. You cannot edit PDF files in Word, and the asker is not asking for conversion _into_ PDF.

1. Contact the client and ask for an editable file (Word, Excel, Corel, whatever) Maybe they have it - problem solved.

2. If the PDF file is not protected, you can mark the text with your mouse and copy it into Word. The problem is that you may lose all formatting and you cannot (as far as I know) copy graphics. (This also applies in the case where the PDF file is made from a scan of a page, not from a document)

3. Editing a PDF file in Adobe Acrobat is not quite like working in a word processor. It is, of course, nice to have, but you should maybe try it before you run out and spend several hundred dollars on software you may never (or rarely) need.

Just my three (euro)cents

Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2003-09-04 10:52]

I did mean it this way, if they can get the original copy in word, excel extra, then they can edit it. Didnt explain it right. Well it is a fact that pdf files are made from other files, so if they can get hold on the original file then ofcourse they can edit it, whatever the case maybe.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Acrobat 6 Sep 4, 2003

allows saving the PDF file in Word format, and if it is protected, you can crack it (often the client has received the translatable material (e.g. freezer manual) from its supplier password protected, and the client himself isn’t even aware of it, not to speak about him knowing the password).
In such cases, we use Advanced PDF Password Recovery Pro (www.elcomsoft.com/prs.html).

Uldi
... See more
allows saving the PDF file in Word format, and if it is protected, you can crack it (often the client has received the translatable material (e.g. freezer manual) from its supplier password protected, and the client himself isn’t even aware of it, not to speak about him knowing the password).
In such cases, we use Advanced PDF Password Recovery Pro (www.elcomsoft.com/prs.html).

Uldis

[Edited at 2003-09-04 20:52]
Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:30
Danish to English
+ ...
PDF format Sep 4, 2003

There are different ways of working with a PDF file. An easy one is to print it to the distiller, and open it through the distiller, which you then can work on in your word processing file. You will lose some formatting and pictures though. I find the best way is to use the Adobe Acrobat 6, the newest one, which is a dream come true and easily pays for itself. If you have an earlier version, the upgrade is about 150 US$.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work in an Adobe Acrobat document

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »