Thread poster: Andy Bell
Andy Bell
Andy Bell  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:14
Norwegian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 3, 2009

Dear colleagues, This is a bit of an off the wall query, but I'd welcome a solution. I've just switched to a new computer - a Toshiba Satellite P300 running Windows Vista. I normally adjust my regional settings to incorporate my source languages into my keyboard settings, and this is usually unproblematic. The problem here is a strange one. All the characters work fine, with the exception of "ø" and "ö" which I cannot write without a delay of around one 2 seconds. When the keyboard language i... See more
Dear colleagues, This is a bit of an off the wall query, but I'd welcome a solution. I've just switched to a new computer - a Toshiba Satellite P300 running Windows Vista. I normally adjust my regional settings to incorporate my source languages into my keyboard settings, and this is usually unproblematic. The problem here is a strange one. All the characters work fine, with the exception of "ø" and "ö" which I cannot write without a delay of around one 2 seconds. When the keyboard language is set to English that key (a semi-colon normally) has no delay. I've tried adjusting the repeat and delay settings in Control Panel but can't get rid of the problem. It's quite infuriating! In order to get the character I have to keep the key pressed, but end up with about 5 characters and have to backspace. Any ideas? Thanks for any advice or help. Nb. I've googled this extensively but no real help.
TIA
Andy Bell

[Edited at 2009-08-03 14:16 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:14
Latin to English
+ ...
POssible work around Aug 3, 2009

I don't know how to fix your problem, but here is a possible work around (assuming you use Word) based on the way I get foregn characters on an English-language keyboard.

(a) Go into a document -- any will do -- in the keyboard language of your choice. Click on "Insert".

(b) In the dropdown that will appear, click on "Symbol". A box should appear with a large variety of alphabets.

(c) Click on the letter you are interested in (say "ö" to highlight it.
... See more
I don't know how to fix your problem, but here is a possible work around (assuming you use Word) based on the way I get foregn characters on an English-language keyboard.

(a) Go into a document -- any will do -- in the keyboard language of your choice. Click on "Insert".

(b) In the dropdown that will appear, click on "Symbol". A box should appear with a large variety of alphabets.

(c) Click on the letter you are interested in (say "ö" to highlight it.

(d) Go to the bottom of the box where it says "shortcut key" and click on this.

(e) A new frame will appear. Place the cursor in the bottom box that says "new shortcut".

(f) Hold down CTRL then insert the letter you want to give ö (let's say o).

(g) Click on Assign in the same table. Then on "Close".

(h) Repeat the process, this time for Ö, except this time while holding down CTRL his upper case O.

Now whenever you type and want to insert ö you hold down CTRL while hitting o and you will get ö. For Ö you will hold down CTRL and shift and his O to get Ö.

Note that if you prefer you can use ALT in the setup phase rather than CTRL.

Since you have another letter -- the Danish one that I am not set up to reproduse, if ö does not appear in Danish (I don't know that language) in the Danish keyboard you can use exactly the same commands as for Ö/ö Danish. Otherwise if you choose CTRL in the first case you can use ALT in the second, or vice versa. Please note that I am just suggesting O/o as the letters to use because of ease of memory while typing. Literally any key will do, however.

Note that in the setup phase given in (f) above in the shortcut box even though you enter a lower case o it will appear as upper case in the box, but don't worry, that's just a quirk. The substitution will be o for ö. Don't forget that for Ö you have to repeat the processs, by going back to the table of letter and highlighting O.

Obviously having to hold down CTRL when you type a letter is not as fast as the idea solution of having a proper key that works, but it will be somewhat faster and I think that less frsutrating than the "waiting for the bus" effect of hitting a key and having nothing happen. I only translate into English, but of course I have to correctly translate proper nouns from the origin language, and find this procedure goes quite well.

A suggestion for something that might work (since I only use an english keyboard I'm not certain but it's worth a try: attempt the same setup procedure I outlined above, except instead of selecting "o" and O in the setup phase try the natural key. If this worked in cutting the delay is would obviously be easier for you to remember to hit CTRL and the key you would have used if you hadn't had the delay problem.

Anyway, good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keyboard delay - Norwegian character

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »