Virus poses as Microsoft update.
Thread poster: mgonzalez (X)
mgonzalez (X)
mgonzalez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 19, 2003

The worm, dubbed Swen or Gibe, comes as an e-mail attachment and exploits a two-year-old hole in Internet Explorer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3123726.stm

Best regards. MG.

Julia Kasper
Julia Kasper
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:21
English to German
Yes., Can I stop the e-mail arriving? Sep 19, 2003

I have received more than five of these e-mails with and without attachment since last week. I wonder if there is a chance to stop these e-mails from arriving in Outlook? I tried to send the sender to my junkmail list. But they keep on arriving. So they must be from different senders. I just worry a bit I might one day by accident hit the button and open the attachment as well.
What really p.. me off is, that MS does not seem to bother publishing warnings on their update-website.
<
... See more
I have received more than five of these e-mails with and without attachment since last week. I wonder if there is a chance to stop these e-mails from arriving in Outlook? I tried to send the sender to my junkmail list. But they keep on arriving. So they must be from different senders. I just worry a bit I might one day by accident hit the button and open the attachment as well.
What really p.. me off is, that MS does not seem to bother publishing warnings on their update-website.

Julia
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Try in Outlook Express Sep 20, 2003

Tools/Option/Security/Activate-Do not allow to open or save the attachment likely to contain a virus.

Good luck.

mezacc
mezacc  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Try to delete them BEFORE downloading Sep 21, 2003

Julia Kasper wrote:

I wonder if there is a chance to stop these e-mails from arriving in Outlook?

Julia

Hello Julia,

I just got done deleting about 30 of these e-mails. If your Internet provider allows to check your mail online try the following: before starting Outlook or downloading your e-mails, first go online to check the e-mails in your. Then, if possible and provided by your ISP, report/declare each one of these obnoxious e-mails as Spam AND create a filter which automatically deletes e-mails addressed to "MS" or which were sent by "MS", "Microsoft" etc. Like I said, not everyone has these possibilities (yet) online, but check it out - it might work for you too! This way they are deleted before you even download them...

Good luck!

Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus poses as Microsoft update.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »