Can't open the BBC website? Anyone know why?
Thread poster: Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Local time: 10:16
Portuguese to English
Aug 27, 2009

Hi,

This has happened to me before and it is rather frustrating. Suddenly yesterday for no apparent reason I was no longer able to open the BBC site. I've tried, Internet Explorer, Mozilla and Chrome to no avail.

It happened a few months back and was "off" for about 2/3 weeks and then it mysteriously started working again. As far as I know I've not altered any of my internet options, or chosen to block any sites. Is there anything I could have done to make this happen
... See more
Hi,

This has happened to me before and it is rather frustrating. Suddenly yesterday for no apparent reason I was no longer able to open the BBC site. I've tried, Internet Explorer, Mozilla and Chrome to no avail.

It happened a few months back and was "off" for about 2/3 weeks and then it mysteriously started working again. As far as I know I've not altered any of my internet options, or chosen to block any sites. Is there anything I could have done to make this happen?!?!?

Any help would be most welcome.....

Thank you
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never had this problem Aug 27, 2009

But you should note that certain parts of it are only available to UK residents, like the iPlayer section (for catching up on missed tv programmes).

I use the BBC site quite a bit, and have never ever had such a problem.

Even if you did delete cookies, they would simply be set next time you clicked on to the site again.

Perhaps it's because your ISP in Brazil has blocked it for some reason?

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks John Aug 27, 2009

As far as I know I've not done anything "different" recently. I know some content is blocked for non UK residents, but literally the whole site is down.

I'm going to ask perhaps a very simple question - but how can I check if my IP has blocked the site?

Thanks!

oligyp
oligyp
Local time: 05:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Weird Aug 27, 2009

I just finishied opening the site and it works fine.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
It could be just a rubbish ISP! Aug 27, 2009

The only way to find out is to phone up the company that supplies your broadband service (I am assuming you have broadband...) and ask them why you cannot access the BBC website. It could be a DNS issue: the web page below may shed a little light on it, but it gets a bit technical. I would phone the ISP directly to see what they say about it, then try one of the solutions from the web page:
... See more
The only way to find out is to phone up the company that supplies your broadband service (I am assuming you have broadband...) and ask them why you cannot access the BBC website. It could be a DNS issue: the web page below may shed a little light on it, but it gets a bit technical. I would phone the ISP directly to see what they say about it, then try one of the solutions from the web page:

http://forums.tweakguides.com/showthread.php?t=7235

Other than that, you're not running a script blocker like NoScript are you? Or are simply getting a completely blank page when you try to connect to the BBC site?

[By the way, as I type this, I am listening to the live news service on the BBC, so it's not a general thing, and I've been popping in and out of that site all day today getting (live) updates on a cricket match.]

Or could it be a government thing???

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1014626/chinese-government-blocks-web-sites-like-amnesty-the-bbc

But then why would the government of Brazil block the BBC site?

Can you ask some local colleagues to see if it affects them too?
Collapse

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Conspiracy definitely ;-) Aug 27, 2009

I've just tried opening it up again and it says DNS error. I then tried the proxy server idea suggested on the link and yes - a DNS error!!I'm not running a script blocker either (not that I'm aware of certainly!) I'm looking into some of the other solutions and I think it's time for me to ring up my ISP.

It's highly frustrating as I feel like I'm missing out on my BBC fix!!

Thank you

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Try IP address Aug 27, 2009

http://212.58.251.197/

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I can get the first page.. Aug 27, 2009

I got all excited then! Managed to get to the first page, but just the basic format (white, maybe without script, not quite sure of the technical term) but when I try to read the stories same old story.... DNS error.

Thanks for the help Robert

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:16
Spanish to English
My experience Aug 28, 2009

I can only get it on Internet Explorer, the player didn't work on Firefox last time I tried.

Otherwise I suggest you write to the BBC, they were very helpful when I had a problem with the player.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Check DNS setting Aug 28, 2009

You should be able to get to a GUI like this:

(Search Google for dns+setting+ windows-xp or whatever version of Windows you have.)

If your ISP has told you the IP addresses of its DNS servers (they usually do I think) try setting them manually

If it still does not work with either the automatic setting or t
... See more
You should be able to get to a GUI like this:

(Search Google for dns+setting+ windows-xp or whatever version of Windows you have.)

If your ISP has told you the IP addresses of its DNS servers (they usually do I think) try setting them manually

If it still does not work with either the automatic setting or the manual setting then contact your ISP.

Is the BBC's the only website with the problem? If you can get to it with just the IP address, I would have thought it fairly clear that access is not being denied altogether.

[Edited at 2009-08-28 11:33 GMT]
Collapse

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, will try this out.. Aug 29, 2009

Thanks Robert, I will try this out today - just found the above settings.

Fingers crossed it works..

Have a good weekend.

P.S Yes, it's just the BBC site - I can get to the first page with the IP address but no further.

[Edited at 2009-08-29 12:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-29 12:47 GMT]

bbc net probs Feb 8, 2010

I've been having the same problem, and I'm fairly certain it's an ISP prob.
I just got on line to the beeb by going through my ISP (and soon to be fired)
AOL and everything worked. So you could try this

Strangely - or maybe not - my laptop which doesn't have the aol programme
on board and is wireless linked to my router has no such troubles. My internet
radio does.

Is this any help?
Has anyone an idea wht the prob with the radio can be
... See more
I've been having the same problem, and I'm fairly certain it's an ISP prob.
I just got on line to the beeb by going through my ISP (and soon to be fired)
AOL and everything worked. So you could try this

Strangely - or maybe not - my laptop which doesn't have the aol programme
on board and is wireless linked to my router has no such troubles. My internet
radio does.

Is this any help?
Has anyone an idea wht the prob with the radio can be

AH
Hamburg
Collapse

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 10, 2010

I'm actually now back in the UK after 4 years in Rio and I never did get to the bottom of the BBC site problem - I ended up accessing the BBC via a proxy server!

Hope you get your problem sorted as it's highly annoying!

Phillippa

[Edited at 2010-02-10 19:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open the BBC website? Anyone know why?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »