Menu bar and tool bars disappeared in Word
Thread poster: Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
Local time: 06:15
English to French
Sep 24, 2003

While I was working on a Word document with footnotes, my Word menu bar and tool bars disappeared upon opening a footnote with ALT+1 to translate with Trados.
F10 did not restore the menu bar. I have tried to delete Normal.dot, 'repare' and eventually clean install Office 2000. It does not seem to work. When I launch Word, the document window that opens has no menu bar and no tool bars.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
(I use Windows 2K + Office 2K and
... See more
While I was working on a Word document with footnotes, my Word menu bar and tool bars disappeared upon opening a footnote with ALT+1 to translate with Trados.
F10 did not restore the menu bar. I have tried to delete Normal.dot, 'repare' and eventually clean install Office 2000. It does not seem to work. When I launch Word, the document window that opens has no menu bar and no tool bars.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
(I use Windows 2K + Office 2K and Trados 5.5)

Thanks in advance,
Vincent
Collapse

KyriakiAilamaki
KyriakiAilamaki
Greece
Local time: 07:15
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
Try this Sep 25, 2003

It happened to me also doing the same work with Trados (but with Word 98).

Try the following:
Close all opened programs and at your desktop, click Start and then Run. At the text box "Open", type "winword /a" (without the quotation marks and click OK button.

Normally the problem will be fixed. Good luck!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check the Trados Knowledge Base Sep 25, 2003

There's an article dealing with the problem you described.

HTH - Ralf

Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Sep 25, 2003

Many thanks for your suggestions. Indeed the problem was quite similar to the one described in the Trados knowledge database. Only difference is that all toolbars disappeared upon opening the footnote not when Word returned to the main window. With toolbars and shortcuts disabled there was no way to close the footnote TU.
The editing of the registry as described in the Trados knowledge database solved the problem just fine.

Thanks again!
Vincent

Pompeo Lattanzi
Pompeo Lattanzi
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
The link doesn't work any more... Apr 6, 2010

Ralf Lemster wrote:

There's an article dealing with the problem you described.

HTH - Ralf

I'm having the same problem of trados toolbar having disappeared while editing a footnote, so I was quite happy about finding the article, but... no joy. Any suggestions as to how I can make my EXPENSIVE tool come back to life?

[Edited at 2010-04-06 15:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Menu bar and tool bars disappeared in Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »